Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      Stephen Recker wrote:

      <Snip>

      > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
      > remember the title.

      I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
      so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
      at Antietam.

      Regards,
      Teej

    • Brian Richardson
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        Gerry -

        That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
        scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
        posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
        Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
        where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
        of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
        17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
        farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
        Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

        There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
        Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
        the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
        day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
        brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
        north.

        All the best,

        Brian

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
          Teej,

          Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
          book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
            Dear Brian;

            That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
            (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
            organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
            actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
            unit, unlike G B Anderson.

            From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
            Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
            the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
            actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
            little behind them....

            That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
            scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
            posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
            the
            Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
            where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
            west
            of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
            The
            17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
            Sherrick
            farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
            Stone
            Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

            There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
            the
            Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
            is -
            the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
            the
            day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
            brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
            moved
            north.

            All the best,

            Brian

            > Brian and Stephen,
            >
            > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
            > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
            > at
            > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
            > correct?
            > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
            > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
            > the
            > Boonsborough Turnpike???

            > from

          • cowie_steve
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
              Gerry and Stephen,

              John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
              by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
              his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
              occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

              Best,

              Steve

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                Steve,

                Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                maps of the battle?

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                  The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                  hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                  "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                  and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                  was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                  attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                  IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                  so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                  Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                  Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                  Best,

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Steve,

                    Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                    I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                    passage.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                      Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                      that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                      the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                      present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                      family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                      Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                      Ellwicks Dwelling.

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Steve,

                        Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                        comment herein!