Re: [TalkAntietam] Right flank retreat at Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

      I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
      "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
      there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
      held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
      wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
      for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
      back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
      went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

      Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
      Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
      Thanks.

      Stephen

      On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

      > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
      > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
      > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
      > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
      > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
      > line with it? Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        Stephen Recker wrote:

        <Snip>

        > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
        > remember the title.

        I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
        so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
        at Antietam.

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Brian Richardson
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          Gerry -

          That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
          scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
          posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
          Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
          where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
          of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
          17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
          farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
          Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

          There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
          Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
          the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
          day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
          brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
          north.

          All the best,

          Brian

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
            Teej,

            Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
            book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
              Dear Brian;

              That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
              (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
              organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
              actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
              unit, unlike G B Anderson.

              From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
              Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
              the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
              actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
              little behind them....

              That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
              scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
              posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
              the
              Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
              where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
              west
              of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
              The
              17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
              Sherrick
              farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
              Stone
              Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

              There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
              the
              Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
              is -
              the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
              the
              day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
              brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
              moved
              north.

              All the best,

              Brian

              > Brian and Stephen,
              >
              > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
              > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
              > at
              > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
              > correct?
              > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
              > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
              > the
              > Boonsborough Turnpike???

              > from

            • cowie_steve
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                Gerry and Stephen,

                John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                Best,

                Steve

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Steve,

                  Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                  was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                  maps of the battle?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                    The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                    hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                    "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                    and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                    was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                    attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                    IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                    so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                    Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                    Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                    Best,

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Steve,

                      Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                      I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                      passage.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                        Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                        that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                        the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                        present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                        family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                        Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                        Ellwicks Dwelling.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Steve,

                          Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                          comment herein!