Monument position trivia question

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      I am trying to find the exact original position of a monument at
      Antietam that was moved at a later date to a position 2,500 feet away.
      Just for fun, I'll put it out as a trivia question first.

      Which Antietam monument now sits approx. 2,500 feet from its original
      position?

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

        I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
        "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
        there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
        held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
        wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
        for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
        back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
        went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

        Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
        Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
        Thanks.

        Stephen

        On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

        > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
        > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
        > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
        > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
        > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
        > line with it? Thanks.
        >
        > Stephen

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          Stephen Recker wrote:

          <Snip>

          > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
          > remember the title.

          I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
          so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
          at Antietam.

          Regards,
          Teej

        • Brian Richardson
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
            Gerry -

            That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
            scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
            posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
            Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
            where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
            of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
            17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
            farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
            Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

            There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
            Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
            the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
            day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
            brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
            north.

            All the best,

            Brian

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
              Teej,

              Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
              book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                Dear Brian;

                That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
                (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
                organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
                actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
                unit, unlike G B Anderson.

                From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
                Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
                the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
                actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
                little behind them....

                That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
                the
                Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
                west
                of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
                The
                17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
                Sherrick
                farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
                Stone
                Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
                the
                Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
                is -
                the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
                the
                day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
                moved
                north.

                All the best,

                Brian

                > Brian and Stephen,
                >
                > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
                > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
                > at
                > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
                > correct?
                > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
                > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
                > the
                > Boonsborough Turnpike???

                > from

              • cowie_steve
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Gerry and Stephen,

                  John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                  by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                  his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                  occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                  Best,

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Steve,

                    Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                    was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                    maps of the battle?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                      The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                      hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                      "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                      and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                      was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                      attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                      IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                      so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                      Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                      Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                      Best,

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                        Steve,

                        Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                        I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                        passage.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                          Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                          that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                          the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                          present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                          family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                          Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                          Ellwicks Dwelling.

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Steve,

                            Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                            comment herein!