Re: [TalkAntietam] Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      That is J. Myers down by Snavely Ford.

      D. Myers and T. Myers are on the Boonsborough Turnpike where you are
      talking about.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        I am trying to find the exact original position of a monument at
        Antietam that was moved at a later date to a position 2,500 feet away.
        Just for fun, I'll put it out as a trivia question first.

        Which Antietam monument now sits approx. 2,500 feet from its original
        position?

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

          I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
          "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
          there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
          held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
          wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
          for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
          back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
          went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

          Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
          Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
          Thanks.

          Stephen

          On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

          > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
          > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
          > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
          > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
          > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
          > line with it? Thanks.
          >
          > Stephen

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
            Stephen Recker wrote:

            <Snip>

            > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
            > remember the title.

            I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
            so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
            at Antietam.

            Regards,
            Teej

          • Brian Richardson
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
              Gerry -

              That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
              scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
              posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
              Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
              where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
              of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
              17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
              farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
              Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

              There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
              Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
              the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
              day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
              brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
              north.

              All the best,

              Brian

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                Teej,

                Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
                book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Dear Brian;

                  That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
                  (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
                  organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
                  actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
                  unit, unlike G B Anderson.

                  From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
                  Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
                  the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
                  actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
                  little behind them....

                  That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                  scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                  posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
                  the
                  Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                  where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
                  west
                  of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
                  The
                  17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
                  Sherrick
                  farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
                  Stone
                  Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                  There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
                  the
                  Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
                  is -
                  the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
                  the
                  day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                  brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
                  moved
                  north.

                  All the best,

                  Brian

                  > Brian and Stephen,
                  >
                  > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
                  > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
                  > at
                  > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
                  > correct?
                  > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
                  > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
                  > the
                  > Boonsborough Turnpike???

                  > from

                • cowie_steve
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Gerry and Stephen,

                    John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                    by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                    his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                    occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                    Best,

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Steve,

                      Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                      was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                      maps of the battle?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                        The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                        hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                        "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                        and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                        was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                        attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                        IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                        so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                        Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                        Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                        Best,

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                          Steve,

                          Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                          I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                          passage.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                            Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                            that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                            the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                            present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                            family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                            Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                            Ellwicks Dwelling.

                            Steve

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Steve,

                              Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                              comment herein!