Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      > Brian,

      Thanks.

      There's a new book coming out this month about the 4th NC: Confederate
      Correspondent: The Civil War Reports of Jacob Nathaniel Raymer, Fourth
      North Carolina by Jacob Nathaniel Raymer

      Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
      remember the title.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        That is J. Myers down by Snavely Ford.

        D. Myers and T. Myers are on the Boonsborough Turnpike where you are
        talking about.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          I am trying to find the exact original position of a monument at
          Antietam that was moved at a later date to a position 2,500 feet away.
          Just for fun, I'll put it out as a trivia question first.

          Which Antietam monument now sits approx. 2,500 feet from its original
          position?

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
            Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

            I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
            "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
            there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
            held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
            wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
            for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
            back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
            went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

            Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
            Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
            Thanks.

            Stephen

            On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

            > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
            > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
            > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
            > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
            > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
            > line with it? Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
              Stephen Recker wrote:

              <Snip>

              > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
              > remember the title.

              I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
              so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
              at Antietam.

              Regards,
              Teej

            • Brian Richardson
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                Gerry -

                That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
                Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
                of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
                17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
                farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
                Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
                Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
                the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
                day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
                north.

                All the best,

                Brian

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Teej,

                  Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
                  book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Dear Brian;

                    That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
                    (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
                    organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
                    actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
                    unit, unlike G B Anderson.

                    From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
                    Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
                    the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
                    actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
                    little behind them....

                    That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                    scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                    posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
                    the
                    Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                    where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
                    west
                    of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
                    The
                    17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
                    Sherrick
                    farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
                    Stone
                    Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                    There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
                    the
                    Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
                    is -
                    the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
                    the
                    day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                    brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
                    moved
                    north.

                    All the best,

                    Brian

                    > Brian and Stephen,
                    >
                    > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
                    > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
                    > at
                    > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
                    > correct?
                    > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
                    > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
                    > the
                    > Boonsborough Turnpike???

                    > from

                  • cowie_steve
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Gerry and Stephen,

                      John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                      by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                      his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                      occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                      Best,

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Steve,

                        Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                        was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                        maps of the battle?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                          The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                          hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                          "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                          and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                          was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                          attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                          IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                          so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                          Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                          Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                          Best,

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                            Steve,

                            Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                            I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                            passage.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                              Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                              that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                              the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                              present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                              family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                              Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                              Ellwicks Dwelling.

                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Steve,

                                Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                                comment herein!

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                                    Stephen,

                                    Good question! I do know that J W Shinn, a First Sergeant of
                                    Company B of the 4th NC, made some acerbic comments about the men
                                    retreating from the Sunken Road.