Re: [TalkAntietam] Right flank retreat at Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      I found this in Carman: While Pryor's and Featherston's brigades, after
      their repulse, were lying in the road with G. B. Anderson's men, they
      were subjected to a severe fire of artillery and musketry. The sudden
      advance ordered by Colonel Barnes started some of the men to the rear
      and Colonel Posey, observing the crowded condition of the troops in the
      road, subjected to much loss, ordered his own brigade to retire. A
      scene of great confusion now ensued from the mingling of different
      brigades. Caldwell's Brigade now swept to the front [and opened fire-
      crossed out] and Pryor's and Featherston's men retreated carrying with
      them the 4th and 30th North Carolina. Colonel Bennett reports that
      while he was observing the right of his brigade "masses of Confederate
      troops in great confusion were seen, portions of Major General
      Anderson's Division, as we then knew, for the 16th Mississippi and the
      2nd Florida of that command [left regiments respectively of Featherston
      and Pryor], coming to our succor, broke beyond the power of rallying
      after five minutes stay. In this stampede, if we may so term it, the
      4th North Carolina State Troops and the 30th North Carolina State
      Troops participated." As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
      "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
      there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
      held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
      wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
      for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
      back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
      went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

      Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
      Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
      Thanks.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        > Brian,

        Thanks.

        There's a new book coming out this month about the 4th NC: Confederate
        Correspondent: The Civil War Reports of Jacob Nathaniel Raymer, Fourth
        North Carolina by Jacob Nathaniel Raymer

        Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
        remember the title.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          That is J. Myers down by Snavely Ford.

          D. Myers and T. Myers are on the Boonsborough Turnpike where you are
          talking about.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
            I am trying to find the exact original position of a monument at
            Antietam that was moved at a later date to a position 2,500 feet away.
            Just for fun, I'll put it out as a trivia question first.

            Which Antietam monument now sits approx. 2,500 feet from its original
            position?

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
              Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

              I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
              "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
              there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
              held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
              wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
              for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
              back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
              went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

              Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
              Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
              Thanks.

              Stephen

              On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

              > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
              > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
              > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
              > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
              > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
              > line with it? Thanks.
              >
              > Stephen

            • barringer63
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                Stephen Recker wrote:

                <Snip>

                > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
                > remember the title.

                I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
                so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
                at Antietam.

                Regards,
                Teej

              • Brian Richardson
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Gerry -

                  That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                  scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                  posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
                  Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                  where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
                  of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
                  17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
                  farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
                  Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                  There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
                  Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
                  the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
                  day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                  brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
                  north.

                  All the best,

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Teej,

                    Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
                    book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Dear Brian;

                      That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
                      (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
                      organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
                      actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
                      unit, unlike G B Anderson.

                      From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
                      Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
                      the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
                      actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
                      little behind them....

                      That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                      scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                      posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
                      the
                      Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                      where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
                      west
                      of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
                      The
                      17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
                      Sherrick
                      farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
                      Stone
                      Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                      There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
                      the
                      Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
                      is -
                      the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
                      the
                      day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                      brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
                      moved
                      north.

                      All the best,

                      Brian

                      > Brian and Stephen,
                      >
                      > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
                      > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
                      > at
                      > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
                      > correct?
                      > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
                      > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
                      > the
                      > Boonsborough Turnpike???

                      > from

                    • cowie_steve
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Gerry and Stephen,

                        John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                        by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                        his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                        occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                        Best,

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                          Steve,

                          Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                          was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                          maps of the battle?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                            The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                            hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                            "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                            and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                            was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                            attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                            IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                            so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                            Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                            Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                            Best,

                            Steve

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                              Steve,

                              Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                              I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                              passage.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                                Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                                that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                                the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                                present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                                family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                                Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                                Ellwicks Dwelling.

                                Steve

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                  Steve,

                                  Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                                  comment herein!

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                                      Stephen,

                                      Good question! I do know that J W Shinn, a First Sergeant of
                                      Company B of the 4th NC, made some acerbic comments about the men
                                      retreating from the Sunken Road.