Right flank retreat at Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
      tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
      rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
      comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
      the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
      line with it? Thanks.

      Stephen
    • Brian Richardson
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
        The 1904 edition of the Carman/Cope maps show a small triangular plot
        with buildings in that area. It was bounded on the south by the
        Boonsboro Pike, the esat by the Sunken Road course, and the west by
        what looks like a farm lane that extends to the south to meet the
        Boonsboro Pike from where the Sunken Road angles to the southeast.
        It looks like the farm lane is bordered on both sides by post and
        rail faces. The plot was planted in corn and it labeled "Newcomer".
        That's in addition to the Newcomer farm on the west bank of Amtietam
        Creek.

        The 0830 map shows GB Anderson's brigade straddling the Boonsboro
        Pike just to the east of and generally parallel to the Sunken Road
        where it borders the triangular plot of land.

        Hope this helps.

        Brian Richardson

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
          I was looking at the wrong spot. On the 1904 Cope map this and the
          house to the east against the creek are both labeled Newcomer. On the
          1895 Hotchkiss map there is no farm at either spot. On the 1904
          Heth/Sterns map the house to the west is D. Myers and the house by the
          creek is T. Myers. On the Gould map based on the 1860's Michler map,
          they are D. Myers and J. Myer respectively.

          I don't know anything about the Myers family, but Carman mentions them:
          "Two companies were sent to the left, beyond the Snavely buildings and
          were deployed behind the stone and rail fences of the road leading to
          Myers' Ford, and at the foot of a bluff, upon which was a large
          cornfield, in which Munford had his cavalry skirmishers, who advancing
          to the brow of the bluff, opened fire, and Eshleman's Louisiana
          battery, about 600 yards to the right and front dropped shrapnel among
          them."

          I don't think he mentions Keplinger. There were some Keplingers living
          in Benevola (Beaver Creek) back them.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
            I found this in Carman: While Pryor's and Featherston's brigades, after
            their repulse, were lying in the road with G. B. Anderson's men, they
            were subjected to a severe fire of artillery and musketry. The sudden
            advance ordered by Colonel Barnes started some of the men to the rear
            and Colonel Posey, observing the crowded condition of the troops in the
            road, subjected to much loss, ordered his own brigade to retire. A
            scene of great confusion now ensued from the mingling of different
            brigades. Caldwell's Brigade now swept to the front [and opened fire-
            crossed out] and Pryor's and Featherston's men retreated carrying with
            them the 4th and 30th North Carolina. Colonel Bennett reports that
            while he was observing the right of his brigade "masses of Confederate
            troops in great confusion were seen, portions of Major General
            Anderson's Division, as we then knew, for the 16th Mississippi and the
            2nd Florida of that command [left regiments respectively of Featherston
            and Pryor], coming to our succor, broke beyond the power of rallying
            after five minutes stay. In this stampede, if we may so term it, the
            4th North Carolina State Troops and the 30th North Carolina State
            Troops participated." As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
            "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
            there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
            held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
            wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
            for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
            back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
            went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

            Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
            Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
            Thanks.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
              > Brian,

              Thanks.

              There's a new book coming out this month about the 4th NC: Confederate
              Correspondent: The Civil War Reports of Jacob Nathaniel Raymer, Fourth
              North Carolina by Jacob Nathaniel Raymer

              Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
              remember the title.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                That is J. Myers down by Snavely Ford.

                D. Myers and T. Myers are on the Boonsborough Turnpike where you are
                talking about.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                  I am trying to find the exact original position of a monument at
                  Antietam that was moved at a later date to a position 2,500 feet away.
                  Just for fun, I'll put it out as a trivia question first.

                  Which Antietam monument now sits approx. 2,500 feet from its original
                  position?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                    Good question. Pierro didn't find the source, and although I have not done a lot of digging yet, my suspicion is that it came from something like Confederate veteran or something like it. Perhaps a newspaper article. The only letter to the the Battlefield Board from G.B. Anderson's brigade that exists in the Carman papers is a map from an officer in the 14th NC. Because of their importance in the battle I cannot believe that the board only got one letter, but I suspect many of the letters have been scattered, or looted, after Carman died.

                    I As an officer of the 4th North Carolina writes:
                    "I think Featherston was started to the right, but instead of getting
                    there came up behind us, where he was not needed, for we could have
                    held our position indefinitely. He sustained great loss in killed and
                    wounded and I have always thought was the cause of the line breaking,
                    for when he found he was not needed there he gave an order to fall
                    back, which was mistaken for a general order and all that could walk
                    went back with him, which caused a general break in the line."

                    Perfect. You can always cound on Carman. Now, the question is (calling
                    Tom Clemens) who was the officer in the 4th NC who made those comments?
                    Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    On Sunday, November 30, 2008, at 08:43 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

                    > On page 245 of Landscape Turned Red, Sears mentions that when Posey
                    > tries to extricate his MIssissippians, it starts a stampede to the
                    > rear. The footnote for that paragraph doesn't mention where that stpry
                    > comes from, unless it is from Shinn. Does anyone know of the origin of
                    > the story about Posey's brigade breaking and taking the rest of the
                    > line with it? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Stephen

                  • barringer63
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                      Stephen Recker wrote:

                      <Snip>

                      > Seems to me I saw a book about the 4th NC a while back but can not
                      > remember the title.

                      I wonder if you're thinking of the book by Neil Hunter Raiford? If
                      so, that book is on the 4th N.C. cavalry. IIRC, the 4th NC Cav was not
                      at Antietam.

                      Regards,
                      Teej

                    • Brian Richardson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Gerry -

                        That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                        scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                        posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
                        Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                        where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
                        of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
                        17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
                        farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
                        Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                        There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
                        Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
                        the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
                        day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                        brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
                        north.

                        All the best,

                        Brian

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                          Teej,

                          Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
                          book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                            Dear Brian;

                            That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
                            (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
                            organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
                            actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
                            unit, unlike G B Anderson.

                            From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
                            Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
                            the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
                            actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
                            little behind them....

                            That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
                            scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
                            posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
                            the
                            Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
                            where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
                            west
                            of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
                            The
                            17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
                            Sherrick
                            farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
                            Stone
                            Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

                            There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
                            the
                            Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
                            is -
                            the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
                            the
                            day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
                            brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
                            moved
                            north.

                            All the best,

                            Brian

                            > Brian and Stephen,
                            >
                            > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
                            > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
                            > at
                            > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
                            > correct?
                            > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
                            > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
                            > the
                            > Boonsborough Turnpike???

                            > from

                          • cowie_steve
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                              Gerry and Stephen,

                              John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
                              by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
                              his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
                              occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

                              Best,

                              Steve

                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
                                Steve,

                                Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
                                was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
                                maps of the battle?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                                  The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                                  hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                                  "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                                  and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                                  was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                                  attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                                  IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                                  so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                                  Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                                  Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                                  Best,

                                  Steve

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                                    Steve,

                                    Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                                    I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                                    passage.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                                      Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                                      that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                                      the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                                      present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                                      family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                                      Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                                      Ellwicks Dwelling.

                                      Steve

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                                        Steve,

                                        Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                                        comment herein!

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 30, 2008
                                              Stephen,

                                              Good question! I do know that J W Shinn, a First Sergeant of
                                              Company B of the 4th NC, made some acerbic comments about the men
                                              retreating from the Sunken Road.