Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2008
      Gang,

      How accurate is the McElfresh watercolor map of Antietam?

      According to the portion of the map showing the entire Sunken
      Road/Pipe Farm Road, there is a triangular little farm titled
      Keplinger where the combined Sunken Road/Piper Farm Road meets
      the Boonsborough Turnpike.

      Yet, I have not noticed anything in my visits to that general
      area which might indicate the presence in 1862 of a farmstead
      there. Such a presence would throw off placement of Anderson's NC
      Brigade on 15 September. Harsh does not mention the Keplinger
      farmstead in TATF at all. All he says is that about half way up
      the moderately steep grade to the top of the plateau where
      Sharpsburg lies from the Antietam(Middle) Bridge is where D H
      Hill's division was turned and placed into two battle lines
      fronting Antietam Creek.

      Any comments???