Thanksgiving

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
      I will ditto Gerry's post, thanks for doing that Gerry.

      Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

      Paula

      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2009
        The Historical Society of Montgomery County is having a Memorial Day service at Montgomery Cemetery at 1 Hartranft Ave. in Norristown, Pa at 11:00 AM on Saturday, May 23rd.  There will be a tour of the cemetery.  At the newly restored gatehouse on display (among other things) will be the bullet that struck General Hancock at Gettysburg.  Generals Hartranft, Hancock,  Zook and Slemmer are buried there in addition to other Civil War Veterans.

        Paula

        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2009
          Hi Paula,
          I've been looking at John M. Gould's papers lately, and he studied the 128 PA a lot. I'll be happy to share with you as I get copies of stuff.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2009
            Thanks Tom, that would be great!  I hope to get back to my research in the summer after school ends.  This has been an extremely tough year and I have done little else besides school( well I am still involved with CW stuff), but I have put a lot of other things on hold because of school.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2012
              Gang;

              With today being Thanksgiving and thinking of all the service personnel scattered so far and wide and away from their families, I am reminded of what Rufus R Dawes, Captain commanding Company K of the Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry in 1861 wrote about the day in the field:

              "On the twenty-eighth of November, the regimental mess, composed of the field, staff and line officers, had a Thanksgiving dinner. We had built a large log dining hall, which was very comfortable, although home made. Our dinner was no small affair. Colonel Cutler also made each company in the regiment,
              the happy recipient of twenty mince pies, about a quarter of a pie to each man. I here obtained a leave of absence for ten days, for a visit to Ohio."

              On this day, as we gather to give our thanks, let us remember all our service men and women who would wish nothing more than to be gathered with their families and friends. Let us pray they all return to us, safe and sound.

              "True patriotism sometimes requires of men to act exactly contrary, at one period, to that which it does at another, and the motive which impels them--the desire to do right--is precisely the same. The circumstances which govern their actions change; and their conduct must conform to the new order of things." -- Robert E. Lee

            • Jeff Lamoureaux
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
                Hi Gerry,
                  Just a note. I finished your book a bit ago and never got around to writing you. I thought it was well done and entertaining. I am not a Civil War fanatic but I do know who is who on either side. I am Virginia born and have lived in MA almost all of my life. As my wife says about my Civil War wanderings, "they are all dead, your side lost, get over it". Obviously, not a Civil War fan. I have spent quite a bit of time hiking in the area so I know the lay of the land. It was interesting to put the places in the book to places today. All in all, great effort.

                History seems more interesting from a personal standpoint.

                thanks again and great effort.
                Jeff Lamoureaux

                So, whatever happened to the good looking lady in Frederick.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Jeff,

                  Thank you.. please post a review on whichever site you purchased the novel from if you can.

                  I wrote None But Heroes to be entertaining etc for the avid CW buff as well as someone more like yourself.

                  As to your question, which good looking lady in Frederick were you asking about? I started a blog on the novel's historical background and will be going through the novel and posting on the actual historical incidents etc that are in the novel, whether whole or in part.

                  https://www.amazon.com/author/gerardemayers

                  http://nonebutheroes.blogspot.com/