Re: Arms of the Union Cavalry

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
      Thanks Steve,

      Maybe there is more in his letter about the carbine? I have the unit
      history by Abner Hard but have not found anything about the type(s)
      of carbines the unit carried during the Maryland Campaign. If I find
      something, I will post it.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Larry...
      > I have a copy of a newspaper article about a veteran of the 8th
      > Illinois who returned to the Middletown area in the late 1800s, and
      > chatted with locals about his experience at Quebec Schoolhouse in
      the
      > couple of days before South Mountain.
      >
      > For reasons I cannot recall, he left his Burnside Carbine in a
      local
      > house at Quebec. A guy who lived in that house as a boy
      > said "hey...I have that gun" and ran home to get it, to give it
      back
      > to the soldier decades after having left it.
      >
      > I will try to dig it out. It has been a while since I read it, but
      > the summary above is the gist of it.
      >
      > But...it was a Burnside.
      >
      > Steve Bockmiller

      > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The Union did have a marked advantage in cavalry weaponry,
      > especially
      > > in carbines. The Model 1859 Sharps Breechloading Carbine among
      > others
      > > gave a noticeable advantage in firepower to troopers which could
      > not
      > > be matched by their Southern counterparts. The Fifth and Sixth U.
      > S.
      > > Cavalry, the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Pennsylvania, and
      the
      > > Eighth Illinois, had Sharps Carbines; the Third Indiana had
      > Gallagher
      > > carbines; the First Massachusetts had Sharps and Smith carbines;
      > the
      > > First New York had Gallagher and Burnside carbines; and the
      Eighth
      > > New York had Sharps carbines after a first issue of the old Hall
      > > carbine.
      > >
      > > Sources: Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-
      1872,
      > > Volume. II, State Forces, (published privately by M. P.
      > Todd/Damerel,
      > > 1983), hereafter cited as State, Pennsylvania units, 1137;
      > Illinois,
      > > 765; Indiana, 784; Massachusetts, 906; New York, 1044. During the
      > > Maryland Campaign, all of these units had pistols, mainly Colt
      army
      > > revolvers and sabers in addition to long arms except for the
      Third
      > > Indiana which had no pistols. Note that most companies of the
      Sixth