Re: Arms of the Union Cavalry

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      Larry...
      I have a copy of a newspaper article about a veteran of the 8th
      Illinois who returned to the Middletown area in the late 1800s, and
      chatted with locals about his experience at Quebec Schoolhouse in the
      couple of days before South Mountain.

      For reasons I cannot recall, he left his Burnside Carbine in a local
      house at Quebec. A guy who lived in that house as a boy
      said "hey...I have that gun" and ran home to get it, to give it back
      to the soldier decades after having left it.

      I will try to dig it out. It has been a while since I read it, but
      the summary above is the gist of it.

      But...it was a Burnside.

      Steve Bockmiller

      <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

      > The Union did have a marked advantage in cavalry weaponry,
      especially
      > in carbines. The Model 1859 Sharps Breechloading Carbine among
      others
      > gave a noticeable advantage in firepower to troopers which could
      not
      > be matched by their Southern counterparts. The Fifth and Sixth U.
      S.
      > Cavalry, the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Pennsylvania, and the
      > Eighth Illinois, had Sharps Carbines; the Third Indiana had
      Gallagher
      > carbines; the First Massachusetts had Sharps and Smith carbines;
      the
      > First New York had Gallagher and Burnside carbines; and the Eighth
      > New York had Sharps carbines after a first issue of the old Hall
      > carbine.
      >
      > Sources: Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872,
      > Volume. II, State Forces, (published privately by M. P.
      Todd/Damerel,
      > 1983), hereafter cited as State, Pennsylvania units, 1137;
      Illinois,
      > 765; Indiana, 784; Massachusetts, 906; New York, 1044. During the
      > Maryland Campaign, all of these units had pistols, mainly Colt army
      > revolvers and sabers in addition to long arms except for the Third
      > Indiana which had no pistols. Note that most companies of the Sixth
      > Pennsylvania, Rush's Lancers, had lances until 1863 along with
      > revolvers; twelve Sharps carbines were issued per company. For U.
      S.
      > units, Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872,
      Part

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
        Thanks Steve,

        Maybe there is more in his letter about the carbine? I have the unit
        history by Abner Hard but have not found anything about the type(s)
        of carbines the unit carried during the Maryland Campaign. If I find
        something, I will post it.

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"