Re: Arms of the Union Cavalry

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      The Union did have a marked advantage in cavalry weaponry, especially
      in carbines. The Model 1859 Sharps Breechloading Carbine among others
      gave a noticeable advantage in firepower to troopers which could not
      be matched by their Southern counterparts. The Fifth and Sixth U. S.
      Cavalry, the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Pennsylvania, and the
      Eighth Illinois, had Sharps Carbines; the Third Indiana had Gallagher
      carbines; the First Massachusetts had Sharps and Smith carbines; the
      First New York had Gallagher and Burnside carbines; and the Eighth
      New York had Sharps carbines after a first issue of the old Hall
      carbine.

      Sources: Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872,
      Volume. II, State Forces, (published privately by M. P. Todd/Damerel,
      1983), hereafter cited as State, Pennsylvania units, 1137; Illinois,
      765; Indiana, 784; Massachusetts, 906; New York, 1044. During the
      Maryland Campaign, all of these units had pistols, mainly Colt army
      revolvers and sabers in addition to long arms except for the Third
      Indiana which had no pistols. Note that most companies of the Sixth
      Pennsylvania, Rush's Lancers, had lances until 1863 along with
      revolvers; twelve Sharps carbines were issued per company. For U. S.
      units, Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872, Part
      I: The United States Army, (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1980),
      372.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rob & Patti Erickson"
      <pattirobpatti@...> wrote:

      > Esteemed members, I am looking for information about which of the
      > Union cavalry units at Antietam were armed with carbines (in whole
      or
      > in part) and , if so, with which type(s):
      >
      > 8th IL Cavalry
      >
      > 12th IL Cavalry
      >
      > Schambach's IL Cavalry
      >
      > 3rd IN Cavalry
      >
      > 1st ME Cavalry
      >
      > 1st MA Cavalry
      >
      > 1st MI Cavalry
      >
      > 1st NY Cavalry
      >
      > 2nd NY Cavalry
      >
      > 6th NY Cavalry
      >
      > 8th NY Cavalry
      >
      > 3rd Independant Company, Ohio Cavalry
      >
      > 3rd PA Cavalry
      >
      > 4th PA Cavalry
      >
      > 6th PA Cavalry
      >
      > 8th PA Cavalry
      >
      > 12th PA Cavalry
      >
      > 15th PA Cavalry
      >
      > 1st U. S. Cavalry
      >
      > 4th US Cavalry
      >
      > 5th US Cavalry
      >
      > 6th US Cavalry
      >
      > Gilmore's WV Cavalry Company
      >
      > Harrison's WV Cavalry Company
      >
      > Thank you in advance,
      >
      > Rob Erickson

    • Rob & Patti Erickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
        Larry, thank you for the information. I havae been waiting to get the
        State Forces volume of Todd's Equipage through interlibrary loan for
        several months. This was a big help. Rob
      • jeffcowvplanning
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
          Larry...
          I have a copy of a newspaper article about a veteran of the 8th
          Illinois who returned to the Middletown area in the late 1800s, and
          chatted with locals about his experience at Quebec Schoolhouse in the
          couple of days before South Mountain.

          For reasons I cannot recall, he left his Burnside Carbine in a local
          house at Quebec. A guy who lived in that house as a boy
          said "hey...I have that gun" and ran home to get it, to give it back
          to the soldier decades after having left it.

          I will try to dig it out. It has been a while since I read it, but
          the summary above is the gist of it.

          But...it was a Burnside.

          Steve Bockmiller

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
            Thanks Steve,

            Maybe there is more in his letter about the carbine? I have the unit
            history by Abner Hard but have not found anything about the type(s)
            of carbines the unit carried during the Maryland Campaign. If I find
            something, I will post it.

            Larry F.

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"