Arms of the Union Cavalry

  • Rob & Patti Erickson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      Esteemed members, I am looking for information about which of the
      Union cavalry units at Antietam were armed with carbines (in whole or
      in part) and , if so, with which type(s):

      8th IL Cavalry

      12th IL Cavalry

      Schambach's IL Cavalry

      3rd IN Cavalry

      1st ME Cavalry

      1st MA Cavalry

      1st MI Cavalry

      1st NY Cavalry

      2nd NY Cavalry

      6th NY Cavalry

      8th NY Cavalry

      3rd Independant Company, Ohio Cavalry

      3rd PA Cavalry

      4th PA Cavalry

      6th PA Cavalry

      8th PA Cavalry

      12th PA Cavalry

      15th PA Cavalry

      1st U. S. Cavalry

      4th US Cavalry

      5th US Cavalry

      6th US Cavalry

      Gilmore's WV Cavalry Company

      Harrison's WV Cavalry Company

      Thank you in advance,

      Rob Erickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
        The Union did have a marked advantage in cavalry weaponry, especially
        in carbines. The Model 1859 Sharps Breechloading Carbine among others
        gave a noticeable advantage in firepower to troopers which could not
        be matched by their Southern counterparts. The Fifth and Sixth U. S.
        Cavalry, the Third, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth Pennsylvania, and the
        Eighth Illinois, had Sharps Carbines; the Third Indiana had Gallagher
        carbines; the First Massachusetts had Sharps and Smith carbines; the
        First New York had Gallagher and Burnside carbines; and the Eighth
        New York had Sharps carbines after a first issue of the old Hall
        carbine.

        Sources: Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872,
        Volume. II, State Forces, (published privately by M. P. Todd/Damerel,
        1983), hereafter cited as State, Pennsylvania units, 1137; Illinois,
        765; Indiana, 784; Massachusetts, 906; New York, 1044. During the
        Maryland Campaign, all of these units had pistols, mainly Colt army
        revolvers and sabers in addition to long arms except for the Third
        Indiana which had no pistols. Note that most companies of the Sixth
        Pennsylvania, Rush's Lancers, had lances until 1863 along with
        revolvers; twelve Sharps carbines were issued per company. For U. S.
        units, Frederick P. Todd, American Military Equipage, 1851-1872, Part
        I: The United States Army, (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1980),
        372.

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rob & Patti Erickson"
        <pattirobpatti@...> wrote:

        > Esteemed members, I am looking for information about which of the
        > Union cavalry units at Antietam were armed with carbines (in whole
        or
        > in part) and , if so, with which type(s):
        >
        > 8th IL Cavalry
        >
        > 12th IL Cavalry
        >
        > Schambach's IL Cavalry
        >
        > 3rd IN Cavalry
        >
        > 1st ME Cavalry
        >
        > 1st MA Cavalry
        >
        > 1st MI Cavalry
        >
        > 1st NY Cavalry
        >
        > 2nd NY Cavalry
        >
        > 6th NY Cavalry
        >
        > 8th NY Cavalry
        >
        > 3rd Independant Company, Ohio Cavalry
        >
        > 3rd PA Cavalry
        >
        > 4th PA Cavalry
        >
        > 6th PA Cavalry
        >
        > 8th PA Cavalry
        >
        > 12th PA Cavalry
        >
        > 15th PA Cavalry
        >
        > 1st U. S. Cavalry
        >
        > 4th US Cavalry
        >
        > 5th US Cavalry
        >
        > 6th US Cavalry
        >
        > Gilmore's WV Cavalry Company
        >
        > Harrison's WV Cavalry Company
        >
        > Thank you in advance,
        >
        > Rob Erickson

      • Rob & Patti Erickson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
          Larry, thank you for the information. I havae been waiting to get the
          State Forces volume of Todd's Equipage through interlibrary loan for
          several months. This was a big help. Rob
        • jeffcowvplanning
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
            Larry...
            I have a copy of a newspaper article about a veteran of the 8th
            Illinois who returned to the Middletown area in the late 1800s, and
            chatted with locals about his experience at Quebec Schoolhouse in the
            couple of days before South Mountain.

            For reasons I cannot recall, he left his Burnside Carbine in a local
            house at Quebec. A guy who lived in that house as a boy
            said "hey...I have that gun" and ran home to get it, to give it back
            to the soldier decades after having left it.

            I will try to dig it out. It has been a while since I read it, but
            the summary above is the gist of it.

            But...it was a Burnside.

            Steve Bockmiller

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
              Thanks Steve,

              Maybe there is more in his letter about the carbine? I have the unit
              history by Abner Hard but have not found anything about the type(s)
              of carbines the unit carried during the Maryland Campaign. If I find
              something, I will post it.

              Larry F.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"