Re: [TalkAntietam] Uniforms of the US Regulars at Antietam

  • Marc73@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
      If my?reading memory?serves me correctly both armies by the time of the Antietam Battle were in their worst condition clothing and supply wise as they?had been on the move for quite some time.

      An uneducated quess would be a mixed combination. I have not seen any resource material on what the regulars wore at Antietam.

      Marc Riddell
      1st Minn Co D
      2nd USSS Co C
      Potomac Legion

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
        When the Federal units retreated into the DC area after 2nd Manassas
        wouldn't they have had time then to replace jackets, pants, etc from the
        supply depots? I dont have a time line in front of me but it seems that
        they were in the DC area long enough to do some resupply.
        --Nick

        >From: Marc73@...
        >To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Uniforms of the US Regulars at Antietam
        >Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:08:28 -0500
        >
        >If my?reading memory?serves me correctly both armies by the time of the
        >Antietam Battle were in their worst condition clothing and supply wise as
        >they?had been on the move for quite some time.
        >
        >An uneducated quess would be a mixed combination. I have not seen any
        >resource material on what the regulars wore at Antietam.
        >
        >Marc Riddell
        >1st Minn Co D
        >2nd USSS Co C
        >Potomac Legion

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
          Oh no, the MIB got to Marc, too.

          All is lost.

          Xandar (some of my memory of Calisto is coming back to me)

          I do not recall ever seeing anything about this issue. You might find a copy
          of Tim Reese's book on U.S. Regulars to se if there is anything there. None
          of the US Regular officers that wrote to Carman mention uniforms of enlisted
          men. By regulation, they should be wearing frock coats and hats into battle,
          but since they had been in constant motion since going to the Peninsula in
          spring, I doubt they had much of that "finery" left. Much of the Fifth Corps
          had no knapsacks or eqipment with them in Maryland, so whatever they had
          when left DC is likely what they wore through the campaign.
          Hope this helps.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

          >>> "Rob & Patti Erickson" <pattirobpatti@
          <mailto:pattirobpatti%40comcast.net> comcast.net> 11/3/2008 4:31 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
            Bullshit.

            The 350,000 men with that coward McClellan were well equipped, well fed,
            well rested, well read, and, well, EVERYTHING! And each and every man knew
            exactly what Lee was going to do BEFORE LEE KNEW!

            Damned apologist.

            I'd talk more about the squadron of Piper Cubs the Yankees had, but all that
            stuff's been sealed up in a hangar somewhere in Nevada, in an area patrolled
            by black helicopters like the one outside my house right now.

            Harry (at least, that's the name they implanted in my brain along with that
            chip)