Re: [TalkAntietam] Uniforms of the US Regulars at Antietam

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
      I do not recall ever seeing anything about this issue. You might find a copy of Tim Reese's book on U.S. Regulars to se if there is anything there. None of the US Regular officers that wrote to Carman mention uniforms of enlisted men. By regulation, they should be wearing frock coats and hats into battle, but since they had been in constant motion since going to the Peninsula in spring, I doubt they had much of that "finery" left. Much of the Fifth Corps had no knapsacks or eqipment with them in Maryland, so whatever they had when left DC is likely what they wore through the campaign.
      Hope this helps.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "Rob & Patti Erickson" <pattirobpatti@...> 11/3/2008 4:31 PM >>>

      Esteemed memebers, what uniform would have been worn by the US Regulars
      at Antietam?

      Would the infantry have worn frock coats and Hardee hats, sack coats
      and forage caps, or a combination of styles/equipment?

      Thanks in advance for any information. Rob Erickson

    • Marc73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
        If my?reading memory?serves me correctly both armies by the time of the Antietam Battle were in their worst condition clothing and supply wise as they?had been on the move for quite some time.

        An uneducated quess would be a mixed combination. I have not seen any resource material on what the regulars wore at Antietam.

        Marc Riddell
        1st Minn Co D
        2nd USSS Co C
        Potomac Legion

        I do not recall ever seeing anything about this issue. You might find a copy of Tim Reese's book on U.S. Regulars to se if there is anything there. None of the US Regular officers that wrote to Carman mention uniforms of enlisted men. By regulation, they should be wearing frock coats and hats into battle, but since they had been in constant motion since going to the Peninsula in spring, I doubt they had much of that "finery" left. Much of the Fifth Corps had no knapsacks or eqipment with them in Maryland, so whatever they had when left DC is likely what they wore through the campaign.
        Hope this helps.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "Rob & Patti Erickson" <pattirobpatti@...> 11/3/2008 4:31 PM >>>

        Esteemed memebers, what uniform would have been worn by the US Regulars
        at Antietam?

        Would the infantry have worn frock coats and Hardee hats, sack coats
        and forage caps, or a combination of styles/equipment?

        Thanks in advance for any information. Rob Erickson

      • Nick KURTZ
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
          When the Federal units retreated into the DC area after 2nd Manassas
          wouldn't they have had time then to replace jackets, pants, etc from the
          supply depots? I dont have a time line in front of me but it seems that
          they were in the DC area long enough to do some resupply.
          --Nick

          >From: Marc73@...
          >To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Uniforms of the US Regulars at Antietam
          >Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:08:28 -0500
          >
          >If my?reading memory?serves me correctly both armies by the time of the
          >Antietam Battle were in their worst condition clothing and supply wise as
          >they?had been on the move for quite some time.
          >
          >An uneducated quess would be a mixed combination. I have not seen any
          >resource material on what the regulars wore at Antietam.
          >
          >Marc Riddell
          >1st Minn Co D
          >2nd USSS Co C
          >Potomac Legion

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
            Oh no, the MIB got to Marc, too.

            All is lost.

            Xandar (some of my memory of Calisto is coming back to me)

            I do not recall ever seeing anything about this issue. You might find a copy
            of Tim Reese's book on U.S. Regulars to se if there is anything there. None
            of the US Regular officers that wrote to Carman mention uniforms of enlisted
            men. By regulation, they should be wearing frock coats and hats into battle,
            but since they had been in constant motion since going to the Peninsula in
            spring, I doubt they had much of that "finery" left. Much of the Fifth Corps
            had no knapsacks or eqipment with them in Maryland, so whatever they had
            when left DC is likely what they wore through the campaign.
            Hope this helps.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            >>> "Rob & Patti Erickson" <pattirobpatti@
            <mailto:pattirobpatti%40comcast.net> comcast.net> 11/3/2008 4:31 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
              Bullshit.

              The 350,000 men with that coward McClellan were well equipped, well fed,
              well rested, well read, and, well, EVERYTHING! And each and every man knew
              exactly what Lee was going to do BEFORE LEE KNEW!

              Damned apologist.

              I'd talk more about the squadron of Piper Cubs the Yankees had, but all that
              stuff's been sealed up in a hangar somewhere in Nevada, in an area patrolled
              by black helicopters like the one outside my house right now.

              Harry (at least, that's the name they implanted in my brain along with that
              chip)