Re: Help with numbers present in several Union regiments

  • Bryn Monnery
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2008
      The different measures of strength (P, PFD, PFDE, Effectives etc.) are
      also problematic.

      For the Confederates in one way it's easier. They tended to use
      effectives or muskets, and so we can have a good idea the bayonet
      strength where this data is available.

      The Union tended to include detachments in their regimental PFD
      reports, so Union strength tends to be overstated. A vast quantity of
      information about the 91st PA is online
      (http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pa91/cbant.html )
      and worth a look. Unfortunately, the database of Morning States starts
      in Feb 63.

      However, deducting 1/3rd of the PFD is a fair indicator of actual
      combatants in this period. When Sherman later took over the Army of
      the Cumberland he noted that fully half the army were non-combatants.

      Taking Harsh's figures, at Antietam it looks like 30,000 odd CS
      infantry squared up against 40,000 US infantry, but the figures are
      highly debatable.