Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help with numbers present in several Union regiments

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2008
      Bryn,

      Trying to determine actual present for field duty strengths for
      almost any battle of the War has been a most challenging task.
      Antietam is particularly challenging due to the lack of more
      complete Confederate records.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2008
        The different measures of strength (P, PFD, PFDE, Effectives etc.) are
        also problematic.

        For the Confederates in one way it's easier. They tended to use
        effectives or muskets, and so we can have a good idea the bayonet
        strength where this data is available.

        The Union tended to include detachments in their regimental PFD
        reports, so Union strength tends to be overstated. A vast quantity of
        information about the 91st PA is online
        (http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pa91/cbant.html )
        and worth a look. Unfortunately, the database of Morning States starts
        in Feb 63.

        However, deducting 1/3rd of the PFD is a fair indicator of actual
        combatants in this period. When Sherman later took over the Army of
        the Cumberland he noted that fully half the army were non-combatants.

        Taking Harsh's figures, at Antietam it looks like 30,000 odd CS
        infantry squared up against 40,000 US infantry, but the figures are
        highly debatable.