Re: Help with numbers present in several Union regiments

  • Bryn Monnery
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 1940
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Rob & Patti Erickson"
      <pattirobpatti@...> wrote:

      > Bryn, thanks for all the info. What source(s) did you use?

      The Sid Meier game, which itself sourced Carman. I've verified several
      regimental strengths and it seems to be okay, certainly to best I've
      found.

      Antietam is one of those battles I've had real problems ascertaining
      actual combat strengths, and I'm still looking for better.

      > BTW, what is "F188" that you included with the 82nd PA?

      Spreadsheet error. I think the list in Bde/Div/Corps order was in cell
      F188 and I made a mistake copying and pasting.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 1940
        Bryn,

        Trying to determine actual present for field duty strengths for
        almost any battle of the War has been a most challenging task.
        Antietam is particularly challenging due to the lack of more
        complete Confederate records.

        > Bryn, thanks for all the info. What source(s) did you use?

        The Sid Meier game, which itself sourced Carman. I've verified
        several
        regimental strengths and it seems to be okay, certainly to best
        I've
        found.

        Antietam is one of those battles I've had real problems
        ascertaining
        actual combat strengths, and I'm still looking for better.

        > BTW, what is "F188" that you included with the 82nd PA?

        Spreadsheet error. I think the list in Bde/Div/Corps order was in
        cell
        F188 and I made a mistake copying and pasting.

        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Bryn Monnery"
        > <littlegreenmen.geo@> wrote:
        > >

        > > 82nd Penn+F188 298

      • Bryn Monnery
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 1940
          The different measures of strength (P, PFD, PFDE, Effectives etc.) are
          also problematic.

          For the Confederates in one way it's easier. They tended to use
          effectives or muskets, and so we can have a good idea the bayonet
          strength where this data is available.

          The Union tended to include detachments in their regimental PFD
          reports, so Union strength tends to be overstated. A vast quantity of
          information about the 91st PA is online
          (http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pa91/cbant.html )
          and worth a look. Unfortunately, the database of Morning States starts
          in Feb 63.

          However, deducting 1/3rd of the PFD is a fair indicator of actual
          combatants in this period. When Sherman later took over the Army of
          the Cumberland he noted that fully half the army were non-combatants.

          Taking Harsh's figures, at Antietam it looks like 30,000 odd CS
          infantry squared up against 40,000 US infantry, but the figures are
          highly debatable.