Re: [TalkAntietam] Sept 18 Truce

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
      Dear Tom,

      Then how did that famous incident behind the Dunkerd Church
      happen?

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
        Um, unofficially, of course.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
          Then that makes it all the more amazing.................that it
          was "unofficially" proposed and was actually carried out...

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
            I'd argue not proposed, it just happened. Front line commanders allowed this at times for a variety of reasons, but for an army to commander to ask his opposing commander for a truce was taken as a sign of defeat. Lee didn't ask McClellan, it just happened in a few isolated spots.
            On the other hand, a number people got shot on the 18th a active skirmishing continued in some spots.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            Then that makes it all the more amazing.................that it
            was "unofficially" proposed and was actually carried out...

            > Then how did that famous incident behind the Dunkerd Church
            > happen?

            > from

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              But Tom, Hancock wrote that the ANV attempted what sounds like a fairly
              organized truce attempt:

              > General Pryor had previously stated that he had no doubt a
              > communication from us to the commanding general of the enemy's forces
              > would result in a satisfactory arrangement. General Pryor stating that
              > he had no authority to send such communication as indicated, on my
              > part the conference closed. Subsequently it was reported to me that
              > another flag had appeared. Again General Meagher was sent to meet the
              > bearer, who proved to be a lieutenant- colonel in the rebel service,
              > who stated that the flag was intended to cover the operations of
              > collecting the wounded and burying the dead, it being supposed that a
              > truce existed by an arrangement which had been made on our night. The
              > officer was notified that it was an error, and in a few minutes
              > hostilities recommenced. (XIX/1: 281-282)

              I am assuming someone higher up sent Genl. Pryor to meet with the AOP?
              Or would this still be considered a local, unauthorized action? Or was
              he just testing the waters? Captain Cowan of the 1st NY battery also
              states in the OR that a "...flag of truce prevented further action."
              Maybe the unofficial truces were more widespread than some think?

              Dave

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                I know of no authority for Pryor to offer such a truce, and knowing Pryor, as a politician, not a professional soldier, he may have acted in ignorance. At that time he was the senior officer in Anderson's Division and had assumed command, but if he had any authority for his act, it is not, to the best of my knowledge, published. I have never heard of read of Lee seeking or authorizing, or even desiring a truce.

                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2008
                  Sad news. I heard that Earl Roulette passed on October 9th. Prayers for
                  him and his family.

                  Stephen Recker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2008
                    Yes, the obit was in the paper a couple weeks ago, meant to mention it to you. He really was a character. I wonder what will become of his collection?

                  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29, 2008
                      Mannie Gentile posted Mr. Roulette's photo and obit on his blog at:

                      http://volunteersinparks.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-12T20%3A14%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=5