RE: [TalkAntietam] Sewage fouls Antietam Creek

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
      David,
      This is the first publicized released that I know of as it has hit all the
      area newspapers such as Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Times, as
      well as all the local newspapers. Don't think if this is a regular
      occurrence because the MD Enviromental Dept had to post the creek to keep
      any and all activities off the creek. They released the raw sewage early
      Saturday. I don't know why they couldn't keep it till they found out what
      and why it happened and then try to treat it.

      Kevin

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        David,
        No it is not common. Somebody somewhere dumped something in the sew3age system
        that killed the microv\bes that normally clean the water. They ar elooking for
        the culprit.

        David Lutton wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
        > "release" happen? Was this event an accident?
        >
        > David Lutton
        > Hollidaysburg Pa

      • David Lutton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
          Thanks Kevin and Tom and Tom for the info. I have plans to be in Sharpsburg
          this Saturday and was planning to do some tramping around the area where the
          11th Connecticut fought.

          If any of you guys get any further info this week could you pass it on to
          me?

          Thanks in Advance

          David Lutton
          Hollidaysburg Pa