Re: [TalkAntietam] Sewage fouls Antietam Creek

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002

      As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
      "release" happen? Was this event an accident?

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg Pa
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        David,
        This is the first publicized released that I know of as it has hit all the
        area newspapers such as Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Times, as
        well as all the local newspapers. Don't think if this is a regular
        occurrence because the MD Enviromental Dept had to post the creek to keep
        any and all activities off the creek. They released the raw sewage early
        Saturday. I don't know why they couldn't keep it till they found out what
        and why it happened and then try to treat it.

        Kevin

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
          David,
          No it is not common. Somebody somewhere dumped something in the sew3age system
          that killed the microv\bes that normally clean the water. They ar elooking for
          the culprit.

          David Lutton wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
          > "release" happen? Was this event an accident?
          >
          > David Lutton
          > Hollidaysburg Pa

        • David Lutton
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
            Thanks Kevin and Tom and Tom for the info. I have plans to be in Sharpsburg
            this Saturday and was planning to do some tramping around the area where the
            11th Connecticut fought.

            If any of you guys get any further info this week could you pass it on to
            me?

            Thanks in Advance

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa