Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Carman

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
      Follow the link below

      http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=1

      And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed "Campaign Maps".

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
        Dear Dean,

        I have the Antietam on the Web website already bookmarked and
        have used the campaign maps. What I need is the actual Cope
        Carman maps. The link Dave gave me will work provided I can copy
        the entire URL string.

        > And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed
        > "Campaign Maps".
        >

        > On Oct 4, 2008, at 10:27 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
        >
        >> It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.
        >>
        >> If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need
        >> go, I can search for it myself.

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
          The source links on that page I sent takes you to the actual Carmen-
          Cope maps. I just sent the AotW address because it had a one word
          hyperlink you could click to get there.

          All 14 maps, fully downloadable.

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
            Funny you should mention this. I just read Tom Desjadin's "These
            Honored Dead: How the Story of Gettysburg Shaped American Memory" in
            which he disputes the accuracy of Norton's "Attack and Defense" much as
            Harsh deconstructs Walker in "Taken at the Flood".

            Stephen

            On Saturday, October 4, 2008, at 09:26 PM, James W. Durney wrote:

            > While not Antietam, Oliver Norton's "Attack and Defense of Little
            > Round Top" is the best example of how history is made that I know of.

          • James W. Durney
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
              However, "history" is that version. I've said it many times, I'm not
              sure we know what we think we do.