Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Carman

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
      Sure Gerry...

      Available right here (make sure that whole ugly thing is one line on
      your browser):

      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?
      collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/
      gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?
      ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the
      +battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information

      Dean

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
        Dean,

        It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.

        If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need to
        go, I can search for it myself.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
          Follow the link below

          http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=1

          And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed "Campaign Maps".

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
            Dear Dean,

            I have the Antietam on the Web website already bookmarked and
            have used the campaign maps. What I need is the actual Cope
            Carman maps. The link Dave gave me will work provided I can copy
            the entire URL string.

            > And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed
            > "Campaign Maps".
            >

            > On Oct 4, 2008, at 10:27 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.
            >>
            >> If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need
            >> go, I can search for it myself.

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
              The source links on that page I sent takes you to the actual Carmen-
              Cope maps. I just sent the AotW address because it had a one word
              hyperlink you could click to get there.

              All 14 maps, fully downloadable.

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                Funny you should mention this. I just read Tom Desjadin's "These
                Honored Dead: How the Story of Gettysburg Shaped American Memory" in
                which he disputes the accuracy of Norton's "Attack and Defense" much as
                Harsh deconstructs Walker in "Taken at the Flood".

                Stephen

                On Saturday, October 4, 2008, at 09:26 PM, James W. Durney wrote:

                > While not Antietam, Oliver Norton's "Attack and Defense of Little
                > Round Top" is the best example of how history is made that I know of.

              • James W. Durney
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                  However, "history" is that version. I've said it many times, I'm not
                  sure we know what we think we do.