RE: [TalkAntietam] Sewage fouls Antietam Creek

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
      I don't know why they had to release the sewage and not hold it until it
      could be treated. Pretty pathetic the way they are so cavalier in their
      attitiude that it will be diluted by the time it gets to DC. I think some
      heads ought to roll for this.

      Kevin

    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002

        As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
        "release" happen? Was this event an accident?

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
          David,
          This is the first publicized released that I know of as it has hit all the
          area newspapers such as Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Times, as
          well as all the local newspapers. Don't think if this is a regular
          occurrence because the MD Enviromental Dept had to post the creek to keep
          any and all activities off the creek. They released the raw sewage early
          Saturday. I don't know why they couldn't keep it till they found out what
          and why it happened and then try to treat it.

          Kevin

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
            David,
            No it is not common. Somebody somewhere dumped something in the sew3age system
            that killed the microv\bes that normally clean the water. They ar elooking for
            the culprit.

            David Lutton wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
            > "release" happen? Was this event an accident?
            >
            > David Lutton
            > Hollidaysburg Pa

          • David Lutton
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
              Thanks Kevin and Tom and Tom for the info. I have plans to be in Sharpsburg
              this Saturday and was planning to do some tramping around the area where the
              11th Connecticut fought.

              If any of you guys get any further info this week could you pass it on to
              me?

              Thanks in Advance

              David Lutton
              Hollidaysburg Pa