Re: Carman

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008

      > James;
      >
      > While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them. I
      > have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
      > where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
      > where the information is just simply wrong.
      >
      > The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
      > scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
      > permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his own
      > made.

      ISTM that all books have errors in them, I've yet to find someone that
      isn't upset about something. A few years ago, I looked into the errors
      in Priest's book on Antietam. I don't recall finding anything that
      should be classed as major. The worst error is in his South Mt. book
      and involves a footnote citing Nolan's Iron Brigade book. The Preist
      books are very readable.

      IMO, nothing but the Bible should be taken as gospel.
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
        Priest insists the famous episode of Longstreet's staff manning the guns of the Washington Artillery happened along the Harpers Ferry Road during the IX Corps attack. Several sources, including the OR's make it clear it was in the edge of the Piper Orchard behind Sunken Road. I call that "major." There are other similar errors.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
          I found some other errors in the Before Antietam book and there
          are some mis matching footnotes in the Antietam book. That is
          sloppy editorship at worse and intellectual dishonesty at best.

          > While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them.
          > have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
          > where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
          > where the information is just simply wrong.
          >
          > The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
          > scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
          > permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his
          > own
          > made.

          ISTM that all books have errors in them, I've yet to find someone
          that
          isn't upset about something. A few years ago, I looked into the
          errors
          in Priest's book on Antietam. I don't recall finding anything
          that
          should be classed as major. The worst error is in his South Mt.
          book
          and involves a footnote citing Nolan's Iron Brigade book. The
          Preist
          books are very readable.

          IMO, nothing but the Bible should be taken as gospel.
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
            As an item of interest regarding Priest, I noticed that Stephen Recker
            doesn't
            have "Soldiers Battle" listed among his Antietam books on his guide page.
            He does have Priest's South Mountain book listed.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
              Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
              available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
              on Antietam....

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
                That is exactly the case.

                Stephen

                On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 06:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
                > available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
                > on Antietam....

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                  Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some cases,
                  unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle itself?
                  How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about tracing
                  movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I can get
                  them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like Pfanz for
                  Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle movements?
                  Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the kind of
                  detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's the
                  battle itself that is foggy.

                  That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.

                  Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few weeks?

                  Dave

                  Stephen Recker wrote:

                  > That is exactly the case.
                  >
                  > Stephen
                  >
                  > On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 06:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                  >
                  > > Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
                  > > available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
                  > > on Antietam....

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                    I'd go with Murfin, but as you don't think it is detailed enough,
                    Camen is _the_ source for detail. Just have some good maps handy,
                    like the downloadable Carmen Cope maps to follow visually.

                    Dean

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                      Dear Dave,

                      For the larger scheme of things, the maps in Murfin are pretty
                      good. The bookstore at the Antietam VC should have a three part
                      series of maps which cover the three main phases of the battle. I
                      have only the maps done for the first phase (i.e. North Woods,
                      East Woods, Cornfield etc).

                      The general NPS brochure, which you can download via the NPS
                      Antietam website, also is good.

                      As to the movement of different brigades etc. I would suggest you
                      consider investing in the TravelBrains Antietam. It is a very
                      good program.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                        Dean,

                        I did not know you could download the Carman Copes maps! Where
                        can you find them online to download?

                        > I'd go with Murfin, but as you don't think it is detailed
                        > enough,
                        > Camen is _the_ source for detail. Just have some good maps
                        > handy,
                        > like the downloadable Carmen Cope maps to follow visually.
                        >
                        > Dean
                        >
                        > On Oct 4, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Dave wrote:
                        >
                        >> Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some
                        >> cases,
                        >> unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle
                        >> itself?
                        >> How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about
                        >> tracing
                        >> movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I
                        >> can get
                        >> them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like
                        >> Pfanz for
                        >> Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle
                        >> movements?
                        >> Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the
                        >> kind of
                        >> detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's
                        >> the
                        >> battle itself that is foggy.
                        >>
                        >> That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.
                        >>
                        >> Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few
                        >> weeks?

                      • James W. Durney
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008

                          > Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some cases,
                          > unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle
                          itself?
                          > How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about tracing
                          > movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I can
                          get
                          > them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like Pfanz
                          for
                          > Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle movements?
                          > Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the kind of
                          > detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's the
                          > battle itself that is foggy.
                          >
                          > That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.
                          >
                          > Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few
                          weeks?

                          I'm not sure that what we "know" is what happened. During combat,
                          few people check details like time or try to determine where they are
                          in the woods, fileds or hills. The majority are trying to stay alive
                          while trying to kill someone. After it is all over, in sime cases
                          years later, they "remember" these details for histories.

                          While not Antietam, Oliver Norton's "Attack and Defense of Little
                          Round Top" is the best example of how history is made that I know of.
                        • Dean Essig
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                            Sure Gerry...

                            Available right here (make sure that whole ugly thing is one line on
                            your browser):

                            http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?
                            collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/
                            gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?
                            ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the
                            +battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information

                            Dean

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                              Dean,

                              It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.

                              If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need to
                              go, I can search for it myself.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                Follow the link below

                                http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=1

                                And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed "Campaign Maps".

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                  Dear Dean,

                                  I have the Antietam on the Web website already bookmarked and
                                  have used the campaign maps. What I need is the actual Cope
                                  Carman maps. The link Dave gave me will work provided I can copy
                                  the entire URL string.

                                  > And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed
                                  > "Campaign Maps".
                                  >

                                  > On Oct 4, 2008, at 10:27 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.
                                  >>
                                  >> If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need
                                  >> go, I can search for it myself.

                                • Dean Essig
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                    The source links on that page I sent takes you to the actual Carmen-
                                    Cope maps. I just sent the AotW address because it had a one word
                                    hyperlink you could click to get there.

                                    All 14 maps, fully downloadable.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                      Funny you should mention this. I just read Tom Desjadin's "These
                                      Honored Dead: How the Story of Gettysburg Shaped American Memory" in
                                      which he disputes the accuracy of Norton's "Attack and Defense" much as
                                      Harsh deconstructs Walker in "Taken at the Flood".

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                        However, "history" is that version. I've said it many times, I'm not
                                        sure we know what we think we do.