Re: [TalkAntietam] Carman

    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2008
      Dear Dave,

      Jake Pierro published his book on the entire Carman manuscript
      but from what I understand, there are no maps.

      Priest is good for getting an idea about the chaos of the battle
      etc but in many of his footnotes, the information is not accurate
      or wrongly cited. The maps in his Before Antietam book are not
      properly drawn.

      If you have the Trailhead Graphics map which has the
      typographical contours on it, that is a very good map indeed.

      If you go to the official NPS website for
      Antietam...www.nps.gov/anti... there are downloadable pdf files
      for some of the trails you can hike at the field. Other trail
      hike guides can be had at the Visitor Center.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2008

        > Dear Dave,
        >
        > Jake Pierro published his book on the entire Carman manuscript
        > but from what I understand, there are no maps.

        The Carman Ms was to be published w/o maps. Jake Pierro published
        his book they way Carman would have published his work.

        > Priest is good for getting an idea about the chaos of the battle
        > etc but in many of his footnotes, the information is not accurate
        > or wrongly cited. The maps in his Before Antietam book are not
        > properly drawn.

        I enjoyed the Priest book and think it is one of the more readable
        accounts of the battle. His "errors", IMO, are overstated and give
        the impression that the work is comprised.

        > If you have the Trailhead Graphics map which has the
        > typographical contours on it, that is a very good map indeed.

        Trailhead Graphics are some of the best battlefield maps you can buy.

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2008
          James;

          While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them. I
          have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
          where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
          where the information is just simply wrong.

          The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
          scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
          permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his own
          made.

          > Jake Pierro published his book on the entire Carman manuscript
          > but from what I understand, there are no maps.

          The Carman Ms was to be published w/o maps. Jake Pierro
          published
          his book they way Carman would have published his work.

          > Priest is good for getting an idea about the chaos of the
          > battle
          > etc but in many of his footnotes, the information is not
          > accurate
          > or wrongly cited. The maps in his Before Antietam book are not
          > properly drawn.

          I enjoyed the Priest book and think it is one of the more
          readable
          accounts of the battle. His "errors", IMO, are overstated and
          give
          the impression that the work is comprised.

          > If you have the Trailhead Graphics map which has the
          > typographical contours on it, that is a very good map indeed.

          Trailhead Graphics are some of the best battlefield maps you can
          buy.

        • James W. Durney
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008

            > James;
            >
            > While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them. I
            > have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
            > where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
            > where the information is just simply wrong.
            >
            > The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
            > scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
            > permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his own
            > made.

            ISTM that all books have errors in them, I've yet to find someone that
            isn't upset about something. A few years ago, I looked into the errors
            in Priest's book on Antietam. I don't recall finding anything that
            should be classed as major. The worst error is in his South Mt. book
            and involves a footnote citing Nolan's Iron Brigade book. The Preist
            books are very readable.

            IMO, nothing but the Bible should be taken as gospel.
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
              Priest insists the famous episode of Longstreet's staff manning the guns of the Washington Artillery happened along the Harpers Ferry Road during the IX Corps attack. Several sources, including the OR's make it clear it was in the edge of the Piper Orchard behind Sunken Road. I call that "major." There are other similar errors.

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
                I found some other errors in the Before Antietam book and there
                are some mis matching footnotes in the Antietam book. That is
                sloppy editorship at worse and intellectual dishonesty at best.

                > While Priest's books are readable they do have errors in them.
                > have knowledge of at least a couple instances in the footnotes
                > where the wrong and totally unrelated source is quoted and also
                > where the information is just simply wrong.
                >
                > The maps in the Before Antietam book are not properly drawn to
                > scale. For the Antietam book, I am sure he could have received
                > permission to use the Carmen/Cope maps rather than having his
                > own
                > made.

                ISTM that all books have errors in them, I've yet to find someone
                that
                isn't upset about something. A few years ago, I looked into the
                errors
                in Priest's book on Antietam. I don't recall finding anything
                that
                should be classed as major. The worst error is in his South Mt.
                book
                and involves a footnote citing Nolan's Iron Brigade book. The
                Preist
                books are very readable.

                IMO, nothing but the Bible should be taken as gospel.
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
                  As an item of interest regarding Priest, I noticed that Stephen Recker
                  doesn't
                  have "Soldiers Battle" listed among his Antietam books on his guide page.
                  He does have Priest's South Mountain book listed.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
                    Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
                    available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
                    on Antietam....

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2008
                      That is exactly the case.

                      Stephen

                      On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 06:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
                      > available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
                      > on Antietam....

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                        Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some cases,
                        unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle itself?
                        How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about tracing
                        movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I can get
                        them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like Pfanz for
                        Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle movements?
                        Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the kind of
                        detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's the
                        battle itself that is foggy.

                        That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.

                        Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few weeks?

                        Dave

                        Stephen Recker wrote:

                        > That is exactly the case.
                        >
                        > Stephen
                        >
                        > On Friday, October 3, 2008, at 06:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                        >
                        > > Maybe that is because there is not a lot of published material
                        > > available on South Mountain. But there is a ton of better stuff
                        > > on Antietam....

                      • Dean Essig
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                          I'd go with Murfin, but as you don't think it is detailed enough,
                          Camen is _the_ source for detail. Just have some good maps handy,
                          like the downloadable Carmen Cope maps to follow visually.

                          Dean

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                            Dear Dave,

                            For the larger scheme of things, the maps in Murfin are pretty
                            good. The bookstore at the Antietam VC should have a three part
                            series of maps which cover the three main phases of the battle. I
                            have only the maps done for the first phase (i.e. North Woods,
                            East Woods, Cornfield etc).

                            The general NPS brochure, which you can download via the NPS
                            Antietam website, also is good.

                            As to the movement of different brigades etc. I would suggest you
                            consider investing in the TravelBrains Antietam. It is a very
                            good program.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                              Dean,

                              I did not know you could download the Carman Copes maps! Where
                              can you find them online to download?

                              > I'd go with Murfin, but as you don't think it is detailed
                              > enough,
                              > Camen is _the_ source for detail. Just have some good maps
                              > handy,
                              > like the downloadable Carmen Cope maps to follow visually.
                              >
                              > Dean
                              >
                              > On Oct 4, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Dave wrote:
                              >
                              >> Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some
                              >> cases,
                              >> unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle
                              >> itself?
                              >> How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about
                              >> tracing
                              >> movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I
                              >> can get
                              >> them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like
                              >> Pfanz for
                              >> Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle
                              >> movements?
                              >> Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the
                              >> kind of
                              >> detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's
                              >> the
                              >> battle itself that is foggy.
                              >>
                              >> That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.
                              >>
                              >> Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few
                              >> weeks?

                            • James W. Durney
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008

                                > Ok, then, can it be said by most that Priest is, in some cases,
                                > unreliable as a guide to the tactical movements of the battle
                                itself?
                                > How then does a newbie to studying this battle go about tracing
                                > movements of brigades (and in some cases regiments) so that I can
                                get
                                > them into my head? I mean, is there a reliable work, like Pfanz
                                for
                                > Gettysburg, that spends a lot of time on actual battle movements?
                                > Harsh, Murfin, Sears et.al. don't seem (to me) to offer the kind of
                                > detail that Priest does. The campaign I have a grasp on, it's the
                                > battle itself that is foggy.
                                >
                                > That's also why I've been asking about the value of Carman.
                                >
                                > Or, maybe I just need a battlefield guide for 3 hours in a few
                                weeks?

                                I'm not sure that what we "know" is what happened. During combat,
                                few people check details like time or try to determine where they are
                                in the woods, fileds or hills. The majority are trying to stay alive
                                while trying to kill someone. After it is all over, in sime cases
                                years later, they "remember" these details for histories.

                                While not Antietam, Oliver Norton's "Attack and Defense of Little
                                Round Top" is the best example of how history is made that I know of.
                              • Dean Essig
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                                  Sure Gerry...

                                  Available right here (make sure that whole ugly thing is one line on
                                  your browser):

                                  http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?
                                  collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/
                                  gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?
                                  ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the
                                  +battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information

                                  Dean

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2008
                                    Dean,

                                    It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.

                                    If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need to
                                    go, I can search for it myself.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                      Follow the link below

                                      http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=1

                                      And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed "Campaign Maps".

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                        Dear Dean,

                                        I have the Antietam on the Web website already bookmarked and
                                        have used the campaign maps. What I need is the actual Cope
                                        Carman maps. The link Dave gave me will work provided I can copy
                                        the entire URL string.

                                        > And click on the "online" link in the paragraph headed
                                        > "Campaign Maps".
                                        >

                                        > On Oct 4, 2008, at 10:27 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> It did not come in as one single hyperlinked line.
                                        >>
                                        >> If you can tell me where on the memory.loc.gov website I need
                                        >> go, I can search for it myself.

                                      • Dean Essig
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                          The source links on that page I sent takes you to the actual Carmen-
                                          Cope maps. I just sent the AotW address because it had a one word
                                          hyperlink you could click to get there.

                                          All 14 maps, fully downloadable.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                            Funny you should mention this. I just read Tom Desjadin's "These
                                            Honored Dead: How the Story of Gettysburg Shaped American Memory" in
                                            which he disputes the accuracy of Norton's "Attack and Defense" much as
                                            Harsh deconstructs Walker in "Taken at the Flood".

                                            Stephen

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 5, 2008
                                              However, "history" is that version. I've said it many times, I'm not
                                              sure we know what we think we do.