Sewage fouls Antietam Creek

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
      Clipped from Hagerstown Herald-Mail (Feb 11).....

      "More sewage to foul Antietam Creek"

      Millions of gallons of mostly untreated waste water from the Hagerstown
      sewer plant likely will continue to flow into Antietam Creek for several
      days, Plant Superintendent Donald Barton said Monday.

      An estimated 22.4 million gallons of untreated or partially treated
      waste water will have flowed by this morning from the city plant into
      Antietam Creek since late Friday, Barton said, and it's too early to say
      when it will stop.

      About 5.6 million gallons of waste water flows every day from the plant
      off Frederick Street into the creek near Funkstown, and eventually flows
      into the Potomac River south of Sharpsburg.

      The public is being advised not to go swimming, fishing or boating on
      the creek, because the contaminated water could cause infection.

      Since late Friday or early Saturday, an unusual amount of white foam has
      been floating down Antietam Creek from the plant.

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        I don't know why they had to release the sewage and not hold it until it
        could be treated. Pretty pathetic the way they are so cavalier in their
        attitiude that it will be diluted by the time it gets to DC. I think some
        heads ought to roll for this.

        Kevin

      • David Lutton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002

          As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
          "release" happen? Was this event an accident?

          David Lutton
          Hollidaysburg Pa
          > Clipped from Hagerstown Herald-Mail (Feb 11).....
          >
          > "More sewage to foul Antietam Creek"
          >
          > Millions of gallons of mostly untreated waste water from the Hagerstown
          > sewer plant likely will continue to flow into Antietam Creek for several
          > days, Plant Superintendent Donald Barton said Monday.
          >
          > An estimated 22.4 million gallons of untreated or partially treated
          > waste water will have flowed by this morning from the city plant into
          > Antietam Creek since late Friday, Barton said, and it's too early to say
          > when it will stop.
          >
          > About 5.6 million gallons of waste water flows every day from the plant
          > off Frederick Street into the creek near Funkstown, and eventually flows
          > into the Potomac River south of Sharpsburg.
          >
          > The public is being advised not to go swimming, fishing or boating on
          > the creek, because the contaminated water could cause infection.
          >
          > Since late Friday or early Saturday, an unusual amount of white foam has
          > been floating down Antietam Creek from the plant.
          >
          > POSTED BY: Tom Shay

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
            David,
            This is the first publicized released that I know of as it has hit all the
            area newspapers such as Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Washington Times, as
            well as all the local newspapers. Don't think if this is a regular
            occurrence because the MD Enviromental Dept had to post the creek to keep
            any and all activities off the creek. They released the raw sewage early
            Saturday. I don't know why they couldn't keep it till they found out what
            and why it happened and then try to treat it.

            Kevin

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
              David,
              No it is not common. Somebody somewhere dumped something in the sew3age system
              that killed the microv\bes that normally clean the water. They ar elooking for
              the culprit.

              David Lutton wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > As one who is not a local resident to the area, how often does this type of
              > "release" happen? Was this event an accident?
              >
              > David Lutton
              > Hollidaysburg Pa

            • David Lutton
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
                Thanks Kevin and Tom and Tom for the info. I have plans to be in Sharpsburg
                this Saturday and was planning to do some tramping around the area where the
                11th Connecticut fought.

                If any of you guys get any further info this week could you pass it on to
                me?

                Thanks in Advance

                David Lutton
                Hollidaysburg Pa