RE: [TalkAntietam] Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      I think McClellan is talking about a commission in the Regular Army, not volunteers where he was already a Major General. These weresomewhat limited, and he did get it, ranking from Sept. 20, 1862 (Heitman & Eicher confirm this date). Warner, however, says he got the BG commission earlier, so it may be that he is wrong.

      >>> "Dave" <gewehr@...> 09/30/08 8:51 PM >>>
      You are correct, I read it wrong. He was to get Mansfield's BG commission.
      Here is the wording from the OR:

      As a slight expression of what I think you merit, I have requested that the
      brigadier-general's commission rendered vacant by Mansfield's death may be
      given to you. I will this evening write a private note to the President on
      the subject, and I am glad to assure you that, so far as I can learn, it is
      the universal feeling of the army that you are the most deserving in it.

      Did they only have so many BG slots to go around? Wouldn't every corps
      commander be a BG or higher?

      Dave

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008

        Could Warner have mixed up when Hooker received his BG USV
        commission with when he received his BG Regular Army commission?

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
          Not by the dates he cited. I think it he has it in spring of '62, and Hooker had a BG in Vols. long before that.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens