Re: [TalkAntietam] Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      Dear Dave,

      Hooker was commissioned as a General officer in the US
      Volunteers; this is the army raised by the War Department through
      the various states in response to the call by Lincoln after First
      Bull Run for volunteers for a three years' service duration. At
      Antietam Hooker was a Major General, US Volunteers. I wonder if
      Mac's note to the President was for Hooker to be given
      Mansfield's Regular Army BG commission?

      There _is_ a huge distinction here. The USV commission was only
      for the duration of the War, while the Regular Army commission
      would ensure that Hooker had a military job when the War was
      over.

      Hope this helps!

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
        I think McClellan is talking about a commission in the Regular Army, not volunteers where he was already a Major General. These weresomewhat limited, and he did get it, ranking from Sept. 20, 1862 (Heitman & Eicher confirm this date). Warner, however, says he got the BG commission earlier, so it may be that he is wrong.

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
          Tom,

          Could Warner have mixed up when Hooker received his BG USV
          commission with when he received his BG Regular Army commission?

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
            Not by the dates he cited. I think it he has it in spring of '62, and Hooker had a BG in Vols. long before that.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens