Re: [TalkAntietam] Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30 4:39 PM
      Wait. Wasn't Hooker already in command of First Corps? Why would
      he want Mansfield's former Corps?

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30 5:51 PM
        You are correct, I read it wrong. He was to get Mansfield's BG commission.
        Here is the wording from the OR:

        As a slight expression of what I think you merit, I have requested that the
        brigadier-general's commission rendered vacant by Mansfield's death may be
        given to you. I will this evening write a private note to the President on
        the subject, and I am glad to assure you that, so far as I can learn, it is
        the universal feeling of the army that you are the most deserving in it.

        Did they only have so many BG slots to go around? Wouldn't every corps
        commander be a BG or higher?

        Dave

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30 6:40 PM
          Dear Dave,

          Hooker was commissioned as a General officer in the US
          Volunteers; this is the army raised by the War Department through
          the various states in response to the call by Lincoln after First
          Bull Run for volunteers for a three years' service duration. At
          Antietam Hooker was a Major General, US Volunteers. I wonder if
          Mac's note to the President was for Hooker to be given
          Mansfield's Regular Army BG commission?

          There _is_ a huge distinction here. The USV commission was only
          for the duration of the War, while the Regular Army commission
          would ensure that Hooker had a military job when the War was
          over.

          Hope this helps!

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30 6:45 PM
            I think McClellan is talking about a commission in the Regular Army, not volunteers where he was already a Major General. These weresomewhat limited, and he did get it, ranking from Sept. 20, 1862 (Heitman & Eicher confirm this date). Warner, however, says he got the BG commission earlier, so it may be that he is wrong.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30 6:51 PM

              Could Warner have mixed up when Hooker received his BG USV
              commission with when he received his BG Regular Army commission?

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                Not by the dates he cited. I think it he has it in spring of '62, and Hooker had a BG in Vols. long before that.

                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens