Interesting discovery re Mac at Antietam

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      Gang,

      While re reading Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood (TATF), page 453,
      about the battle of Antietam, I came across the following very
      interesting note about Mac immediately after the battle,
      specifically September 18-21 period:

      "Lee's precipitous retreat indicated to McClellan that the
      Federal attacks on the 17th--the effects of which had been in
      doubt--had indeed crippled the Confederate army. "Our victory was
      complete," he telegraphed to Halleck. "The enemy is driven back
      into Virginia."(70) Too ill to mount a horse, the Federal
      commander climbed into an ambulance and rode through Sharpsburg
      and toward the Potomac to reconnoiter. During his hour's ride he
      confronted the critical question of how he would respond to Lee's
      withdrawal."

      The sentence in bold face is the sentence that caught me by
      surprise. This makes me wonder what Mac's health was on September
      17th. Also, was the illness a recurrence of the typhoid fever
      which laid him lower on at least two or three earlier occasions
      in 1862?

      Any thoughts, comments, &c???

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
        Harsh reports in TATF on page 440 that it was dysentery, a "severe case"
        which had "plagued him since his days in the Mexican War". Mac wrote
        his wife regarding this, and Hooker as well in the OR: XIX/1 pg 219.
        It hit him on the 18th, he was still sick on the 20th when he wrote
        Hooker. Same note where he promised Hooker Mansfield's command.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
          Wait. Wasn't Hooker already in command of First Corps? Why would
          he want Mansfield's former Corps?

          > Harsh reports in TATF on page 440 that it was dysentery, a
          > "severe case"
          > which had "plagued him since his days in the Mexican War". Mac
          > wrote
          > his wife regarding this, and Hooker as well in the OR: XIX/1
          > pg 219.
          > It hit him on the 18th, he was still sick on the 20th when he
          > wrote
          > Hooker. Same note where he promised Hooker Mansfield's
          > command.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > G E Mayers wrote:
          >>
          >> Gang,
          >>
          >> While re reading Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood (TATF), page
          >> 453,
          >> about the battle of Antietam, I came across the following very
          >> interesting note about Mac immediately after the battle,
          >> specifically September 18-21 period:
          >>
          >> "Lee's precipitous retreat indicated to McClellan that the
          >> Federal attacks on the 17th--the effects of which had been in
          >> doubt--had indeed crippled the Confederate army. "Our victory
          >> was
          >> complete," he telegraphed to Halleck. "The enemy is driven
          >> back
          >> into Virginia."(70) Too ill to mount a horse, the Federal
          >> commander climbed into an ambulance and rode through
          >> Sharpsburg
          >> and toward the Potomac to reconnoiter. During his hour's ride
          >> he
          >> confronted the critical question of how he would respond to
          >> Lee's
          >> withdrawal."
          >>
          >> The sentence in bold face is the sentence that caught me by
          >> surprise. This makes me wonder what Mac's health was on
          >> September
          >> 17th. Also, was the illness a recurrence of the typhoid fever
          >> which laid him lower on at least two or three earlier
          >> occasions
          >> in 1862?
          >>
          >> Any thoughts, comments, &c???
          >>
          >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
          >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

          >> even
          >> from
          >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
            You are correct, I read it wrong. He was to get Mansfield's BG commission.
            Here is the wording from the OR:

            As a slight expression of what I think you merit, I have requested that the
            brigadier-general's commission rendered vacant by Mansfield's death may be
            given to you. I will this evening write a private note to the President on
            the subject, and I am glad to assure you that, so far as I can learn, it is
            the universal feeling of the army that you are the most deserving in it.

            Did they only have so many BG slots to go around? Wouldn't every corps
            commander be a BG or higher?

            Dave

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
              Dear Dave,

              Hooker was commissioned as a General officer in the US
              Volunteers; this is the army raised by the War Department through
              the various states in response to the call by Lincoln after First
              Bull Run for volunteers for a three years' service duration. At
              Antietam Hooker was a Major General, US Volunteers. I wonder if
              Mac's note to the President was for Hooker to be given
              Mansfield's Regular Army BG commission?

              There _is_ a huge distinction here. The USV commission was only
              for the duration of the War, while the Regular Army commission
              would ensure that Hooker had a military job when the War was
              over.

              Hope this helps!

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
                I think McClellan is talking about a commission in the Regular Army, not volunteers where he was already a Major General. These weresomewhat limited, and he did get it, ranking from Sept. 20, 1862 (Heitman & Eicher confirm this date). Warner, however, says he got the BG commission earlier, so it may be that he is wrong.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008

                  Could Warner have mixed up when Hooker received his BG USV
                  commission with when he received his BG Regular Army commission?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Not by the dates he cited. I think it he has it in spring of '62, and Hooker had a BG in Vols. long before that.

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens