Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: NY Tribune on the Campaign (Was: Bill of Rights)

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 11:16 AM
      Brian Downey wrote:

      <Snip>

      > BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
      > comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
      > Richmond!

      Brian,

      I've done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period.
      And you're right about how the accounts differed. If the piece
      originated with the Richmond paper and the battle was a success, it was
      a sound beating with the "enemy" being driven back towards Washington.
      If it was less than a success the story was still printed but with words
      like "temporary setback" included or "the numbers of the enemy proved to
      be too great, still the men of (plug in whichever unit that was
      engaged)engaged the enemy with boldness and gallantry."
      One thing that surprised me was entire dispatches and orders were often
      printed within a day or so of the battle. One other thing I found very
      interesting was the Richmond papers would often print the same story as
      it appeared in the Washington Star side by side of their own account.

      Regards,
      Teej