Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee's retreat order

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2008

      Great! Now, if we can only find sources that talk about Lee's
      health during the entire campaign and particularly during the
      South Mountain crisis.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2008
        Gerry Mayers wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > Great! Now, if we can only find sources that talk about Lee's
        > health during the entire campaign and particularly during the
        > South Mountain crisis.

        Avery Craven who edited the small book on Lee's letters to
        Markie Williams noted that Lee did not write Ms. Williams during the
        war but actually he did, at least once anyway. I'm out of town so I
        don't have the letter in front of me but IIRC, it was written in
        early to mid-October. He told Markie about the accident and noted
        that he still had to use a sling so a secretary had to handle all of
        his correspondence for him.

        Regards,
        Teej

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2008
          Dear Teej,

          It would be interesting to read the letter herein and also to
          determine how long it took for Lee's hands/arms to finally heal.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2008
            More on Lee's injuries:

            Lee's abilities to participate in some of the activities which might
            have helped him understand what McClellan was up to were hampered by
            injury. He had incurred sprained and broken wrists on 31 August in a
            fall which limited his mobility and therefore his ability to command
            the army especially during the battle at Antietam. He rode in an
            ambulance from that time to 16 September when he was able to mount
            his horse and be led by an aide. It took some six weeks before Lee
            could even sign his name. In a letter to his wife on Oct. 12 he said
            that "My hands are improving slowly, and, with my left hand, I am
            able to dress and undress myself, which is a great comfort. My right
            is becoming of some assistance, too, though it is still swollen and
            sometimes painful. The bandages have been removed. I am now able to
            sign my name. It has been six weeks to-day since I was unjured, and I
            have at last discarded the sling."

            See Harsh TATF pg. 476 fn 126 referencing Lee Jr. "Recollections and
            Letters of General Robert E. Lee, by His Son."

            Larry F.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2008
              Dear Larry,

              I am aware of Lee's own citations but would be interested in
              citations from others, especially the Chief Medical Director.