Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee's retreat order

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25 9:00 AM
      Scott Hartwig, in his "R. E. Lee and the Md Campaign" p. 346 in R.E. Lee the Soldier, (1996) cites "Munford's Diary" the original is in the library at Duke, or DOOK as Teej pronounces it. It is at least edited post-war, so may be a bit embellished, but he says this about notifying Lee:
      “I occupied Crampton’s Gap…was attacked by General Franklin…Capt. W. K. Martin reported in person to Genl R. E. Lee that night.”
      So there is the name of the courier. Steve Stoelmyer, an authority on the South Mountain battle, has been kind enough to provide the citations.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "G E Mayers" gerry1952@...> 9/24/2008 10:30 PM >>

      Visit Your Group
      Only on Yahoo!
      Star Wars galaxy
      Create a profile
      and meet fans.
      Yahoo! News
      Kevin Sites
      Get coverage of
      world crises.
      Moderator Central
      Get answers to
      your questions about
      running Y! Groups..

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25 9:10 AM

        Great! Now, if we can only find sources that talk about Lee's
        health during the entire campaign and particularly during the
        South Mountain crisis.

        Scott Hartwig, in his "R. E. Lee and the Md Campaign" p. 346 in
        R.E. Lee the Soldier, (1996) cites "Munford's Diary" the original
        is in the library at Duke, or DOOK as Teej pronounces it. It is
        at least edited post-war, so may be a bit embellished, but he
        says this about notifying Lee:
        “I occupied Crampton’s Gap…was attacked by General Franklin…Capt.
        W. K. Martin reported in person to Genl R. E. Lee that night.”
        So there is the name of the courier. Steve Stoelmyer, an
        authority on the South Mountain battle, has been kind enough to
        provide the citations.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "G E Mayers" gerry1952@...> 9/24/2008 10:30 PM >>

        Visit Your Group
        Only on Yahoo!
        Star Wars galaxy
        Create a profile
        and meet fans.
        Yahoo! News
        Kevin Sites
        Get coverage of
        world crises.
        Moderator Central
        Get answers to
        your questions about
        running Y! Groups.

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25 12:03 PM
          Gerry Mayers wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > Great! Now, if we can only find sources that talk about Lee's
          > health during the entire campaign and particularly during the
          > South Mountain crisis.

          Avery Craven who edited the small book on Lee's letters to
          Markie Williams noted that Lee did not write Ms. Williams during the
          war but actually he did, at least once anyway. I'm out of town so I
          don't have the letter in front of me but IIRC, it was written in
          early to mid-October. He told Markie about the accident and noted
          that he still had to use a sling so a secretary had to handle all of
          his correspondence for him.

          Regards,
          Teej

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25 12:09 PM
            Dear Teej,

            It would be interesting to read the letter herein and also to
            determine how long it took for Lee's hands/arms to finally heal.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26 9:55 AM
              More on Lee's injuries:

              Lee's abilities to participate in some of the activities which might
              have helped him understand what McClellan was up to were hampered by
              injury. He had incurred sprained and broken wrists on 31 August in a
              fall which limited his mobility and therefore his ability to command
              the army especially during the battle at Antietam. He rode in an
              ambulance from that time to 16 September when he was able to mount
              his horse and be led by an aide. It took some six weeks before Lee
              could even sign his name. In a letter to his wife on Oct. 12 he said
              that "My hands are improving slowly, and, with my left hand, I am
              able to dress and undress myself, which is a great comfort. My right
              is becoming of some assistance, too, though it is still swollen and
              sometimes painful. The bandages have been removed. I am now able to
              sign my name. It has been six weeks to-day since I was unjured, and I
              have at last discarded the sling."

              See Harsh TATF pg. 476 fn 126 referencing Lee Jr. "Recollections and
              Letters of General Robert E. Lee, by His Son."

              Larry F.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28 11:22 AM
                Dear Larry,

                I am aware of Lee's own citations but would be interested in
                citations from others, especially the Chief Medical Director.