Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
      Tom;
      Thanks! Did Munford directly carry that news to Lee or by
      courier?

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 23, 2008
        Joe Harsh (TATF pg 291) states that Munford "had made his way to
        Rohrersville, a hamlet seven miles south of Boonsboro, and there sent a
        dispatch to Lee depicting the results as he knew them."

      • colliszouave@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
          Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

          Respectfully,

          Mike Peters
        • Thomas G. Clemens
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
            4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
              Was "the Jennie" a cannon?

            • troyacool@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                According to Tim Reese's, "Sealed With Their Lives" pg 165-166 it was the 2nd VT's picket's who finally claimed it, but it had been overrun by the 95th PA who then retired leaving the gun on the road.

                From: "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
                Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:29:43
                To: 'TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com'<TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                4th or 2nd VT, can't remember off-hand. Captured at bottom of the slope.

                Which unit captured the "Jennie?" 4th VT? 95th PA?

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters

              • Michael Peters
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                  Tom et al,

                  G. Norton Galloway, 95th PA Infantry, wrote the following re: his unit's action
                  at Crampton's Gap:

                  "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                  painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                  presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                  caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                  with its division to Antietam."

                  Mike Peters

                • Teej Smith
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                    Mike Peters wrote:

                    Tom et al,
                    "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                    painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                    presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                    caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                    with its division to Antietam."

                    From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                    Regards,
                    Teej

                    .

                  • colliszouave@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
                      Teej,

                      And then there was the Sally Craig .....

                      Mike Peters

                      From: "Teej Smith" <teej@...>
                      Sender: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:13:15
                      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>

                      Mike Peters wrote:

                      Tom et al,
                      "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
                      painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
                      presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
                      caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
                      with its division to Antietam."

                      From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."

                      Regards,
                      Teej

                      .

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 23, 2010
                        Thanks to all who responded to my "Jennie" query.

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters