RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 19 1:25 PM
      I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
      make it!

      Harry

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 19 6:16 PM
        I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/19/08 9:06 AM >>>
        Tom,

        Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
        and low river.

        Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
        backpack is a good idea?

        Larry F.

        > Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the
        most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?
        > Sorry for the confusion.
        >
        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
        reply through this venue or to my private email.

        > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
        Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
        entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
        lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
        side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
        Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
        actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
        look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
        roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
        the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
        viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
        also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
        shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
        > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
        away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
        trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
        thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
        fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
        vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
        stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
        deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
        privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
        meal!! Any takers?

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19 6:22 PM
          Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19 6:24 PM
            Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 22 5:19 AM
              The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
              the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
              finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
              there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
              excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
              low and the weather was just right for this walk.

              Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
              expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
              the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

              There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
              able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
              nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
              annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 22 5:37 AM
                Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                do so.....

                Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                Virginia?

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                <clemenst@...>
                wrote:

                > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                > it.
                Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                > might be
                able to
                > make it!
                >
                > Harry

                rain
                > > and low river.
                > >
                > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                > > backpack is a good idea?
                > >
                > > Larry F.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 22 5:41 AM
                  I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 22 7:04 AM
                    Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                    Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                    wrote:

                    > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                    > it.
                    Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                    > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                    > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                    > might be
                    able to
                    > make it!
                    >
                    > Harry

                    rain
                    > > and low river.
                    > >
                    > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                    > > backpack is a good idea?
                    > >
                    > > Larry F.

                  • david lutton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 22 3:05 PM
                      TOM,

                      Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                      David Lutton
                      Hollidaysburg Pa