Re: Help needed

  • moenwanda
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
      Hi Tom,

      You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

      http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
      sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
      20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
      01

      Very best,

      Moe

      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
      > Dear Group,
      > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
      scavengr
      > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
      > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
      need not
      > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
      it.
      > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
      >
      > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
      occupation, etc.
      > for:
      >
      > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
      > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
      > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
      > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
      > 1/31/1861
      > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
      Conven.
      > 1864
      > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
      into?
      > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
      > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
      about
      > Lincoln & Stanton
      > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
      to the
      > book.
      >

      > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
      on-line and
      > searchable would be great.
      >
      > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
      "call the
      > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
      >
      > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
      1862.
      > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
      >
      > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
      wrote to
      > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
      the enemy
      > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
      >

      > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
      second
      > place is two copies!!!
      > Thanks all!
    • moenwanda
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
        Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

        http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

        Moe

        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
        > Dear Group,
        > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
        scavengr
        > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
        > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
        need not
        > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
        it.
        > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
        >
        > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
        occupation, etc.
        > for:
        >
        > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
        > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
        > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
        > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
        > 1/31/1861
        > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
        Conven.
        > 1864
        > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
        into?
        > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
        > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
        about
        > Lincoln & Stanton
        > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
        to the
        > book.
        >

        > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
        on-line and
        > searchable would be great.
        >
        > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
        "call the
        > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
        >
        > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
        1862.
        > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
        >
        > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
        wrote to
        > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
        the enemy
        > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
        >

        > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
        second
        > place is two copies!!!
        > Thanks all!
      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
          Moe,
          I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
          Thanks
          Tom

          Monitoring Service trial
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM