Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
      Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 6:46 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:51 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

      >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
      Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

      >   O.G.

      Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

      Mark A. Pflum

      Correct.

      O.G.

    • moenwanda
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
        Hi Tom,

        You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

        http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
        sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
        20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
        01

        Very best,

        Moe

        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
        > Dear Group,
        > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
        scavengr
        > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
        > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
        need not
        > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
        it.
        > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
        >
        > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
        occupation, etc.
        > for:
        >
        > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
        > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
        > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
        > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
        > 1/31/1861
        > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
        Conven.
        > 1864
        > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
        into?
        > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
        > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
        about
        > Lincoln & Stanton
        > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
        to the
        > book.
        >

        > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
        on-line and
        > searchable would be great.
        >
        > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
        "call the
        > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
        >
        > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
        1862.
        > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
        >
        > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
        wrote to
        > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
        the enemy
        > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
        >

        > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
        second
        > place is two copies!!!
        > Thanks all!
      • moenwanda
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
          Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

          http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

          Moe

          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
          > Dear Group,
          > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
          scavengr
          > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
          > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
          need not
          > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
          it.
          > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
          >
          > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
          occupation, etc.
          > for:
          >
          > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
          > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
          > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
          > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
          > 1/31/1861
          > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
          Conven.
          > 1864
          > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
          into?
          > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
          > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
          about
          > Lincoln & Stanton
          > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
          to the
          > book.
          >

          > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
          on-line and
          > searchable would be great.
          >
          > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
          "call the
          > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
          >
          > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
          1862.
          > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
          >
          > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
          wrote to
          > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
          the enemy
          > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
          >

          > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
          second
          > place is two copies!!!
          > Thanks all!
        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
            Moe,
            I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
            Thanks
            Tom

            Monitoring Service trial
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM