Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Lee and McClellan

    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 17, 2008
      Thanks Teej, that is the letter I had in mind, and yes it is wrong about Sigel.

      Tom Clemens wrote:

      > I think that is the source for Lee's letter to Davis, I'm away from
      sources right now, but I think on the 8th or 9th where he mentions
      various Union commanders and their troops moving, but does not
      mention McClellan. And I think he has one of the commanders
      incorrect too, but don't trust me on that.

      I think that is the source for Lee's letter to Davis, I'm away from
      sources right now, but I think on the 8th or 9th where he mentions
      various Union commanders and their troops moving, but does not
      mention McClellan. And I think he has one of the commanders incorrect
      too, but don't trust me on that.

      On Sept. 8, Lee wrote Davis, "From reports that have reached me,
      I believe that the enemy are pushing a strong column up the River
      (Potomac) by Rockville and Darnestown, and by Poolesville towards
      Seneca Mills. I hear that the commands of Sumner,Sigel, Burnside and
      Hooker are advancing in the direction mentioned." No mention of
      McClellan.

      Interesting to note that on Sept. 11, a Zanesville, Ohio
      newspaper ran a story they got from Rockville, Md. dated Sept. 8 in
      which the journalist stated to the effect that "General McClellan
      along with cavalry, infantry and artillery in great numbers were
      headed their way, in fact it would appear the whole army of the
      Peninsula seemed to be marching in their direction."

      Regards,
      Teej
      Message 53 of 53 , Sep 19, 2008
        Looking at Brown pp. 241 and 325 LT Miner occupied SL on 9/3 and sent
        his last message on 9/5. See also OR's vol. 19/1 p. 117 et seq, and
        19/2 p. 184/186. If anyone finds anything more re messages to/from
        Miner, pls let me know.

        Larry F.