Re: [TalkAntietam] Lee and McClellan

    Message 1 of 53 , Sep 17, 2008
      A good question Harry. Joe Harsh and I talked about that at length and Joe did a lot of digging on it. Lee's dispatches prior to writing 191 make no mention of McClellan in command. As you properly stated Walker's B & L account is bovine fecal matter. We have to allow that Lee might have known from reading northern newspapers, but if he did, he never said so. Maybe Woodworth is telepathic?

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 9/17/2008 12:54 PM >>>

      Folks,

      Here we are at anniversary time again, so as I do annually, I'm trotting out
      an old question that never seems to get answered.

      I'm prompted to ask this time by reading "A Scythe of Fire" by Wilkinson and
      Woodworth. The book is filled with Woodworth opinion stated as fact and
      unsupported by documentation. On page 182 he says the following:

      "Lee had heard that George McClellan was once again in command of the Union
      Army of the Potomac and decided to bet on that general's by now well
      established slowness."

      This is used to explain in part Lee's decision to divide his army to deal
      with the garrison at Harper's Ferry. It is not footnoted.

      So here's the question:

      Can anyone show that Lee did know, even by the 9th of September, that
      McClellan was in command of the Union army then in the field in Maryland?

      I'm assuming we're all grown ups in here and understand that Walker's
      account is pretty much discredited. So, did Lee know, and if so, how did he
      know, and how do you know he knew?

      Harry

      Message 53 of 53 , Sep 19, 2008
        Looking at Brown pp. 241 and 325 LT Miner occupied SL on 9/3 and sent
        his last message on 9/5. See also OR's vol. 19/1 p. 117 et seq, and
        19/2 p. 184/186. If anyone finds anything more re messages to/from
        Miner, pls let me know.

        Larry F.