Caldwell's Brigade

  • troyacool
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2008
      In the action at the eastern end of the Sunken Lane where Barlow's
      consolidated regiments flank the confederate position I am confused
      about the sequence of events:
      A.)the 61/64 advance and enfilade the lane then advance west toward
      and near to the Roulette Lane
      B.) the reminder of Caldwell's Brigade releives Meagher's Brigade
      and advance south against the eastern portion of the lane.
      C.)Accounts from both portions of the brigade speak of resistance
      from the Confederates
      Which occured first did Barlow advance in from East to West in the
      front of the Irish and/or the rest of Caldwell's Brigade
      OR did they pause while the brigade advanced south and then move
      behind the entire brigade from one flank to the other to attack the
      confederate flank?
      It seems odd in either case: Barlow would not have been able to
      advance with major Confederate forces on his left (southern) flank,
      but why would he let the brigade pass his front then move West
      rather than joining the left of Caldwell's Brigade and advancing
      South against the Confederates in the Piper Cornfields.
      Thanks
      Troy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2008
        Dear Troy;

        Please see my comments in Red under your questions.