Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
      were you looking for Louis?

      Ray

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 6:36 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Help needed

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 7:26 AM

      Harriett?

      Ray;
      No. Let me know when you give up. <vbg>

      Tom;

      The phrase is not in Jomini's first book. I didn't think it would be since it was written before he left Napoleon and joined the Russians. I have several other books on Napoleon and will see if I can find it in any of them.

      O.G.

    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
        Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
          Hi Tom,

          You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

          http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
          sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
          20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
          01

          Very best,

          Moe

          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
          > Dear Group,
          > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
          scavengr
          > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
          > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
          need not
          > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
          it.
          > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
          >
          > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
          occupation, etc.
          > for:
          >
          > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
          > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
          > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
          > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
          > 1/31/1861
          > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
          Conven.
          > 1864
          > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
          into?
          > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
          > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
          about
          > Lincoln & Stanton
          > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
          to the
          > book.
          >

          > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
          on-line and
          > searchable would be great.
          >
          > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
          "call the
          > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
          >
          > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
          1862.
          > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
          >
          > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
          wrote to
          > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
          the enemy
          > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
          >

          > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
          second
          > place is two copies!!!
          > Thanks all!
        • moenwanda
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
            Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

            http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

            Moe

            --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
            > Dear Group,
            > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
            scavengr
            > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
            > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
            need not
            > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
            it.
            > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
            >
            > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
            occupation, etc.
            > for:
            >
            > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
            > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
            > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
            > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
            > 1/31/1861
            > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
            Conven.
            > 1864
            > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
            into?
            > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
            > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
            about
            > Lincoln & Stanton
            > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
            to the
            > book.
            >

            > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
            on-line and
            > searchable would be great.
            >
            > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
            "call the
            > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
            >
            > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
            1862.
            > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
            >
            > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
            wrote to
            > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
            the enemy
            > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
            >

            > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
            second
            > place is two copies!!!
            > Thanks all!
          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
              Moe,
              I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
              Thanks
              Tom

              Monitoring Service trial
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM