Antietam Anniversary

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2008

      Tomorrow morning at dawn, America's bloodiest day began 146 years
      ago to the day.

      Monday was the 146th anniversary of the surrender, to MG T J
      Jackson, of the US Army garrison at Harper's Ferry. At the time,
      and until the surrender of the garrison on Bataan during the
      early days of the US involvement in World War II, it was the
      largest surrender of any single organized portion of the United
      States Army.

      Now, given the fact that, about nine months later, when the ANVa
      marched north into Pennsylvania, Harper's Ferry was left
      unmolested (and it was still in Lee's "rear" as he advanced), I
      have some questions about Lee's decision to allocate resources,
      as delineated in SO 191, to Harper's Ferry:

      1. Would a decision by Lee to _not_ devote almost two thirds of
      the effective strength of the ANVa to reduction of Harper's Ferry
      in September 1862 made a difference in that campaign?

      2. Would such a decision, i.e., to leave Harper's Ferry and
      Martinsburg US garrisons alone (and I fail to see what impact the
      two garrisons could have had, on their own, against the ANVa in
      any case) have necessitated the dictation and promulgation of SO

      3. Would there still have been a SO191 but radically different
      from what we now know it?

      4. Also, without having to devote resources to Harper's Ferry,
      would SO191 have clearly indicated not only the immediate advance
      of the ANVa but also possibly some longer term goals of the
      advance into Pennsylvania?

      IIRC, in his letter to President Davis on 4 September 1862 sent
      from Leesburg, Lee does mention the possibility of moving the
      ANVa into Pennsylvania depending on how the campaign develops.

      I realize I might be asking a "what if" or "counter-factual"
      question here, but that is not really my intent. I am trying to
      understand why, if in September 1862 Harper's Ferry being held by
      US Army forces was considered so important by Lee to devote
      substantial portions of the ANVa strength to eliminating it as a
      possible/probably threat, the same location again with a US Army
      garrison, was ignored in late June 1863 when the ANVa was moving
      north towards Pennsylvania?

      Thanks for all your thoughts.