Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

  • Oliver Gamble
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002

      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:51 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Help needed

      >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
      Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

      >   O.G.

      Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

      Mark A. Pflum

      Correct.

      O.G.

    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
        were you looking for Louis?

        Ray

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 23, 2002
          Jomini, Antoine Henri, baron de

          >   You might want to see if anyone can answer the question "What was
          Jomini's FIRST Name?" I will tell you it was not Henri. <g>

          >   O.G.

          Perhaps his name was ANTOINE HENRI JOMINI ?

          Mark A. Pflum

          Correct.

          O.G.

        • moenwanda
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
            Hi Tom,

            You can find Stephens's full text speech on MOA

            http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=moa&cc=moa&
            sid=55c7710d36f412fee15b621ca4661f7f&q1=cornerstone%20speech&rgn=full%
            20text&firstpubl1=1800&firstpubl2=1925&view=header&idno=ACR4181.0001.0
            01

            Very best,

            Moe

            --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
            > Dear Group,
            > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
            scavengr
            > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
            > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
            need not
            > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
            it.
            > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
            >
            > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
            occupation, etc.
            > for:
            >
            > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
            > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
            > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
            > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
            > 1/31/1861
            > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
            Conven.
            > 1864
            > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
            into?
            > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
            > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
            about
            > Lincoln & Stanton
            > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
            to the
            > book.
            >

            > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
            on-line and
            > searchable would be great.
            >
            > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
            "call the
            > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
            >
            > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
            1862.
            > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
            >
            > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
            wrote to
            > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
            the enemy
            > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
            >

            > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
            second
            > place is two copies!!!
            > Thanks all!
          • moenwanda
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2002
              Yet another site for Stephen's speech:

              http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stephans.html

              Moe

              --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
              > Dear Group,
              > I need some last minute help so I will turn this into a trivia
              scavengr
              > hunt. See bottom for the prizes. If anyone can provide any of the
              > following information I would be most grateful. For all of these I
              need not
              > only the information, but full bibliographic info on where you find
              it.
              > Warning: most of this is very obscure!
              >
              > 1. I need a mini biography, birth & death dates, residence,
              occupation, etc.
              > for:
              >
              > Lt. John Meighan, 2nd South Carolina Cav.
              > E. G. Kilbourn, Speaker of the House of Delegates, MD 1861
              > Julius A. Dargan, member of Secession COnvention in South Carolina
              > Reuben H. Walworth, New York politician, spoke at Albany convention
              > 1/31/1861
              > James S. Thayer, from Hoosick Falls, NY. Delegate to Dem. Nat'l.
              Conven.
              > 1864
              > G.F.R. Henderson, Jackson's British biogrpaher, might be in reprint
              into?
              > Lord Lyons, British ambassador to US during the war
              > W. D. Kelly, Congressman from PA(?) during the war, wrote a book
              about
              > Lincoln & Stanton
              > Wm. H. Powell, author of Fifth Army Corps, again might be in intro
              to the
              > book.
              >

              > 2. Also need complete text of A.H. Stephens "cornerstone" speech,
              on-line and
              > searchable would be great.
              >
              > Source for boast by Robert Toombs early in the war that he would
              "call the
              > role of my slaves at the base of the Bunker Hill monument"
              >
              > Source for a letter from Napoleon III to Gen. (O.S.) Ferry, July 3,
              1862.
              > (Not in OR or Naval OR)
              >
              > Source for a quotation from Napoleon Bonaparte: When King Jossph
              wrote to
              > Napoleon that he could not ascertain the position and strength of
              the enemy
              > army, Napoleon replied "Why don't you attack him and find out?"
              >

              > First person to get all these to me wins a copy of my dissertation,
              second
              > place is two copies!!!
              > Thanks all!
            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 10, 2002
                Moe,
                I've searched his speech, it isn't what i need.  I am now thinking it might be part of Hammond's original Cotton is King speech.
                Thanks
                Tom

                Monitoring Service trial
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM