Re: [TalkAntietam] Re:Crossing the river at Shepherdstown

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
      Larry,

      I was a little tired last night. Yes...I meant the dam and not the bridge. I
      have not written anything about these particular fords. The only reason that
      I know they existed is because we have found artifacts at all of them. Most
      of them are located in the Official Records of the Civil War. The dam that
      the 118th Pa crossed is still there. The basic wooden structure with
      hydrolic cement is all that is left. The mill race which was loaded with
      relics after the war is almost all gone. The big floods have wiped it all
      out. I did uncover the mill office about 5 years ago. It took a direct shell
      impact from a 3" parrot shell.

      Sincerely,
      Ian Workman

      On 8/28/08, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > these various fords? Have you written anything about them?
      >
      > In your response, did you mean "dam" versus "bridge" at the mill
      > talking about the 118th PA? I didn't know that there was a bridge at
      > the cement mill.
      >
      > I hope to learn more from you at the crossing event--maybe you will
      > have time to show us some of these other fords?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Larry Freiheit
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com <TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ian
      > Workman" <cwdigger@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > For eigth conn,
      > >
      > > All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have
      > several
      > > different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's ford
      > isn't near
      > > the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther
      > downstream.
      > > There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone
      > bridge
      > > piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry
      > Kyd
      > > Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped
      > burn it down
      > > in the beginning of the war.
      > >
      > > The Fords:
      > > The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that
      > there was
      > > a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack
      > horse ford.
      > > This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made
      > the great
      > > march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below
      > the mouth
      > > of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
      > > crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs
      > in a few
      > > spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three
      > lines of
      > > crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three
      > more
      > > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
      > There were
      > > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
      > Williamsport
      > > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
      > about 6
      > > more feet of water than it was during the war.
      > >
      > > Ian Workman
      > >

      > > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
      > for you
      > > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
      > Unfortunately
      > > > for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in
      > > > Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos
      > that you can
      > > > perhaps share with the rest of this list.

    • david lutton
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
        Ian,

        Is the mill office you referred to down the road on the opposite side of the street from the mill itself? If not can you tell me what that structure was used for? Several years ago I was 'milling' around the area and went inside what was left of the building. If my memory serves me well there were some civil war period graffiti on the walls.

        David Lutton

      • Ian Workman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
          David,

          The building that you speak of is closer to trough rd. That was built right
          after the civil war. The one that I am speaking of was between there and the
          mill on the side of the road with the bluffs. There is nothing left of it
          anymore except for a few bricks and the large stone which was under the
          front door. There is very little pottery in the area which may mean that it
          was reserved for paperwork. Also, the amount of glass that came out of there
          meant that the building more than likely had windows on all four sides. This
          building was approximately 10 feet by 10 feet. It is across the little gully
          where the single furnace was.

          By the way, here is a little tidbit about the other set of furnaces. Today
          there stands six of them all side by side. During the battle only the three
          on the left were there. If you are looking at them from the river you can
          tell which ones they are. The one on the far right was used to take cover
          from Federal shells which were falling short and hitting their own men.
          These were 3" Hotchkiss shells, 12lb caseshot, and 20lb. Parrot Shells.
          (most of them were hotchkiss though. The one is the middle was also used to
          take cover by another member of the 118th Pa. A shell went directly into
          that entrance and blew him to pieces. What an awful way to go.