Re: [TalkAntietam] Re:Crossing the river at Shepherdstown

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2008
      For eigth conn,

      All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have several
      different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's for isn't near
      the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther downstream.
      There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone bridge
      piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry Kyd
      Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped burn it down
      in the beginning of the war.

      The Fords:
      The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that there was
      a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack horse ford.
      This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made the great
      march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below the mouth
      of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
      crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs in a few
      spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three lines of
      crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three more
      fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream. There were
      two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at Williamsport
      butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under about 6
      more feet of water than it was during the war.

      Ian Workman

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
        Ian,

        Thank you for this excellent info!

        In addition to personally looking at this part of the river for a
        long time, did you have any written references which talked about
        these various fords? Have you written anything about them?

        In your response, did you mean "dam" versus "bridge" at the mill
        talking about the 118th PA? I didn't know that there was a bridge at
        the cement mill.

        I hope to learn more from you at the crossing event--maybe you will
        have time to show us some of these other fords?

        Thank you,
        Larry Freiheit

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Workman" <cwdigger@...>
        wrote:

        > For eigth conn,
        >
        > All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have
        several
        > different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's ford
        isn't near
        > the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther
        downstream.
        > There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone
        bridge
        > piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry
        Kyd
        > Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped
        burn it down
        > in the beginning of the war.
        >
        > The Fords:
        > The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that
        there was
        > a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack
        horse ford.
        > This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made
        the great
        > march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below
        the mouth
        > of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
        > crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs
        in a few
        > spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three
        lines of
        > crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three
        more
        > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
        There were
        > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
        Williamsport
        > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
        about 6
        > more feet of water than it was during the war.
        >
        > Ian Workman
        >

        > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
        for you
        > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
        Unfortunately
        > > for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in
        > > Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos
        that you can
        > > perhaps share with the rest of this list.
        > >
        > > Have fun.
        > >
        > > Dave Clugh
        > > 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.
        > > www.hmisite.com

      • Ian Workman
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
          Larry,

          I was a little tired last night. Yes...I meant the dam and not the bridge. I
          have not written anything about these particular fords. The only reason that
          I know they existed is because we have found artifacts at all of them. Most
          of them are located in the Official Records of the Civil War. The dam that
          the 118th Pa crossed is still there. The basic wooden structure with
          hydrolic cement is all that is left. The mill race which was loaded with
          relics after the war is almost all gone. The big floods have wiped it all
          out. I did uncover the mill office about 5 years ago. It took a direct shell
          impact from a 3" parrot shell.

          Sincerely,
          Ian Workman

          On 8/28/08, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > more
          > > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
          > There were
          > > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
          > Williamsport
          > > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
          > about 6
          > > more feet of water than it was during the war.
          > >
          > > Ian Workman
          > >

          > > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
          > for you
          > > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
          > Unfortunately
          > > > for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in
          > > > Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos
          > that you can
          > > > perhaps share with the rest of this list.

        • david lutton
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
            Ian,

            Is the mill office you referred to down the road on the opposite side of the street from the mill itself? If not can you tell me what that structure was used for? Several years ago I was 'milling' around the area and went inside what was left of the building. If my memory serves me well there were some civil war period graffiti on the walls.

            David Lutton

          • Ian Workman
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
              David,

              The building that you speak of is closer to trough rd. That was built right
              after the civil war. The one that I am speaking of was between there and the
              mill on the side of the road with the bluffs. There is nothing left of it
              anymore except for a few bricks and the large stone which was under the
              front door. There is very little pottery in the area which may mean that it
              was reserved for paperwork. Also, the amount of glass that came out of there
              meant that the building more than likely had windows on all four sides. This
              building was approximately 10 feet by 10 feet. It is across the little gully
              where the single furnace was.

              By the way, here is a little tidbit about the other set of furnaces. Today
              there stands six of them all side by side. During the battle only the three
              on the left were there. If you are looking at them from the river you can
              tell which ones they are. The one on the far right was used to take cover
              from Federal shells which were falling short and hitting their own men.
              These were 3" Hotchkiss shells, 12lb caseshot, and 20lb. Parrot Shells.
              (most of them were hotchkiss though. The one is the middle was also used to
              take cover by another member of the 118th Pa. A shell went directly into
              that entrance and blew him to pieces. What an awful way to go.