Re:Crossing the river at Shepherdstown

  • David Clugh
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2008
      Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited for you all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th. Unfortunately for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos that you can perhaps share with the rest of this list.

      Have fun.

      Dave Clugh
      3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.
      www.hmisite.com
    • Ian Workman
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2008
        For eigth conn,

        All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have several
        different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's for isn't near
        the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther downstream.
        There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone bridge
        piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry Kyd
        Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped burn it down
        in the beginning of the war.

        The Fords:
        The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that there was
        a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack horse ford.
        This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made the great
        march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below the mouth
        of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
        crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs in a few
        spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three lines of
        crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three more
        fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream. There were
        two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at Williamsport
        butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under about 6
        more feet of water than it was during the war.

        Ian Workman

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
          Ian,

          Thank you for this excellent info!

          In addition to personally looking at this part of the river for a
          long time, did you have any written references which talked about
          these various fords? Have you written anything about them?

          In your response, did you mean "dam" versus "bridge" at the mill
          talking about the 118th PA? I didn't know that there was a bridge at
          the cement mill.

          I hope to learn more from you at the crossing event--maybe you will
          have time to show us some of these other fords?

          Thank you,
          Larry Freiheit

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Workman" <cwdigger@...>
          wrote:

          > For eigth conn,
          >
          > All of the fords in that general area (near the cement mill) have
          several
          > different names. However, they are only one ford. Blackford's ford
          isn't near
          > the train bridge as some websites show. It was much farther
          downstream.
          > There were two ferries above the train bridge and above the stone
          bridge
          > piers. Those stone bridge piers were from the 1850's bridge. Henry
          Kyd
          > Douglas's father built the bridge and Henry Kyd Douglass helped
          burn it down
          > in the beginning of the war.
          >
          > The Fords:
          > The main ford is about 150 yards below the cement mill. Below that
          there was
          > a cavalry ford. Further on down the river is what is called pack
          horse ford.
          > This is the ford that was used by A.P. Hill's men when they made
          the great
          > march from Harper's Ferry. Below that there is another ford below
          the mouth
          > of the Antietam creek. The bridge that was at the mill was used as a
          > crossing by the retreating 118th Pa. They all came off the cliffs
          in a few
          > spots and ran in two different directions. There are about three
          lines of
          > crossing above the dam. Above Shepherdstown there are about three
          more
          > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
          There were
          > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
          Williamsport
          > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
          about 6
          > more feet of water than it was during the war.
          >
          > Ian Workman
          >

          > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
          for you
          > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
          Unfortunately
          > > for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in
          > > Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos
          that you can
          > > perhaps share with the rest of this list.
          > >
          > > Have fun.
          > >
          > > Dave Clugh
          > > 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.
          > > www.hmisite.com

        • Ian Workman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
            Larry,

            I was a little tired last night. Yes...I meant the dam and not the bridge. I
            have not written anything about these particular fords. The only reason that
            I know they existed is because we have found artifacts at all of them. Most
            of them are located in the Official Records of the Civil War. The dam that
            the 118th Pa crossed is still there. The basic wooden structure with
            hydrolic cement is all that is left. The mill race which was loaded with
            relics after the war is almost all gone. The big floods have wiped it all
            out. I did uncover the mill office about 5 years ago. It took a direct shell
            impact from a 3" parrot shell.

            Sincerely,
            Ian Workman

            On 8/28/08, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > more
            > > fords. The one that stuart crossed is about 1.75 miles upstream.
            > There were
            > > two more above that before you get to dam no. 4. The ford at
            > Williamsport
            > > butts right up to where the ferry was. It is still there but under
            > about 6
            > > more feet of water than it was during the war.
            > >
            > > Ian Workman
            > >

            > > On 8/26/08, David Clugh <thirdpaclugh@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Well, I have lurked long enough on this topic. I feel excited
            > for you
            > > > all just reading of the "crossing event" upcoming on the 20th.
            > Unfortunately
            > > > for me, I am committed to do a weekend Revolutionary War event in
            > > > Kingsville, Md. I hope that you do take at least a few photos
            > that you can
            > > > perhaps share with the rest of this list.

          • david lutton
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
              Ian,

              Is the mill office you referred to down the road on the opposite side of the street from the mill itself? If not can you tell me what that structure was used for? Several years ago I was 'milling' around the area and went inside what was left of the building. If my memory serves me well there were some civil war period graffiti on the walls.

              David Lutton

            • Ian Workman
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2008
                David,

                The building that you speak of is closer to trough rd. That was built right
                after the civil war. The one that I am speaking of was between there and the
                mill on the side of the road with the bluffs. There is nothing left of it
                anymore except for a few bricks and the large stone which was under the
                front door. There is very little pottery in the area which may mean that it
                was reserved for paperwork. Also, the amount of glass that came out of there
                meant that the building more than likely had windows on all four sides. This
                building was approximately 10 feet by 10 feet. It is across the little gully
                where the single furnace was.

                By the way, here is a little tidbit about the other set of furnaces. Today
                there stands six of them all side by side. During the battle only the three
                on the left were there. If you are looking at them from the river you can
                tell which ones they are. The one on the far right was used to take cover
                from Federal shells which were falling short and hitting their own men.
                These were 3" Hotchkiss shells, 12lb caseshot, and 20lb. Parrot Shells.
                (most of them were hotchkiss though. The one is the middle was also used to
                take cover by another member of the 118th Pa. A shell went directly into
                that entrance and blew him to pieces. What an awful way to go.