Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

  • workman_ian
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

      > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
      reply through this venue or to my private email.

      > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
      Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
      entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
      lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
      side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
      Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
      actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
      look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
      roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
      the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
      viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
      also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
      shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
      > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
      away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
      trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
      thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
      fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
      vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
      stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
      deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
      privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
      meal!! Any takers?
      > Thank you
      >

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
      > This is a test
    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
        You guys have a great time... wish I was there.

        Complete reports and photos will be expected :-)

        Dean

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
          Dean,

          I concur!

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
            Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
            is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
            be a great day for walking the battlefield.

            I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
            backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
            down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
            ford is!

            Steve

            <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
            > and low river.
            >
            > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
            > backpack is a good idea?
            >
            > Larry F.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
              I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
              make it!

              Harry

              Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
              is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
              be a great day for walking the battlefield.

              I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
              backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
              down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
              ford is!

              Steve

              yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf"

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

                >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/19/08 9:06 AM >>>
                Tom,

                Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                and low river.

                Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                backpack is a good idea?

                Larry F.

                > Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the
                most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                  Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                    Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                      The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
                      the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
                      finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
                      there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
                      excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
                      low and the weather was just right for this walk.

                      Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
                      expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
                      the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

                      There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
                      able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
                      nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
                      annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                        Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                        do so.....

                        Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                        Virginia?

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                        <clemenst@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                        > it.
                        Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                        > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                        > might be
                        able to
                        > make it!
                        >
                        > Harry

                        rain
                        > > and low river.
                        > >
                        > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                        > > backpack is a good idea?
                        > >
                        > > Larry F.

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                          I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                          Harry

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                            Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                            Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                            wrote:

                            > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                            > it.
                            Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                            > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                            > might be
                            able to
                            > make it!
                            >
                            > Harry

                            rain
                            > > and low river.
                            > >
                            > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                            > > backpack is a good idea?
                            > >
                            > > Larry F.

                          • david lutton
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                              TOM,

                              Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                              David Lutton
                              Hollidaysburg Pa