Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

  • workman_ian
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
      Stephen,

      I am almost ready for the crossing. I hope to clear up several
      historical errors and ficticious stories about Shepherdstown.

      Ian Workman

      > Tom,
      >
      > I'm there. Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen Recker
      >
      > On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
      >
      > > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You
      may
      > > reply through this venue or to my private email.
      > >
      > > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
      Potomac
      > > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail
      some
      > > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of
      us.
      > > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
      > > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
      > > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual
      ford
      > > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at
      the
      > > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly
      along
      > > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th
      PA
      > > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing
      the
      > > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also
      privately
      > > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell
      embedded
      > > in the farmhouse wall.
      > > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short
      distance
      > > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
      > > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake
      the
      > > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had
      our
      > > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to
      our
      > > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
      stuff
      > > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
      > > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
      > > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a
      good
      > > meal!! Any takers?
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
      > > Professor of History
      > > Hagerstown Community College

    • workman_ian
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

        > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
        reply through this venue or to my private email.

        > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
        Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
        entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
        lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
        side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
        Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
        actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
        look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
        roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
        the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
        viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
        also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
        shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
        > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
        away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
        trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
        thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
        fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
        vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
        stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
        deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
        privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
        meal!! Any takers?
        > Thank you
        >

        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
        > This is a test
      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
          You guys have a great time... wish I was there.

          Complete reports and photos will be expected :-)

          Dean

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
            Dean,

            I concur!

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
              Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
              is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
              be a great day for walking the battlefield.

              I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
              backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
              down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
              ford is!

              Steve

              <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
              > and low river.
              >
              > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
              > backpack is a good idea?
              >
              > Larry F.

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
                make it!

                Harry

                Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                ford is!

                Steve

                yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf"

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                  I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

                  >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/19/08 9:06 AM >>>
                  Tom,

                  Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                  and low river.

                  Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                  backpack is a good idea?

                  Larry F.

                  > Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the
                  most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                    Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                      Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                        The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
                        the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
                        finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
                        there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
                        excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
                        low and the weather was just right for this walk.

                        Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
                        expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
                        the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

                        There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
                        able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
                        nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
                        annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                          Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                          do so.....

                          Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                          Virginia?

                          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                          <clemenst@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                          > it.
                          Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                          > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                          > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                          > might be
                          able to
                          > make it!
                          >
                          > Harry

                          rain
                          > > and low river.
                          > >
                          > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                          > > backpack is a good idea?
                          > >
                          > > Larry F.

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                            I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                              Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                              Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                              wrote:

                              > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                              > it.
                              Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                              > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                              > might be
                              able to
                              > make it!
                              >
                              > Harry

                              rain
                              > > and low river.
                              > >
                              > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                              > > backpack is a good idea?
                              > >
                              > > Larry F.

                            • david lutton
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                TOM,

                                Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                                David Lutton
                                Hollidaysburg Pa