Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

  • david lutton
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 21, 2008
      Tom,

      Please count me in for the 20th.

      David Lutton
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Thomas Clemens
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 12:36 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Sept. 20 Potomac River wading

      Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may reply through this venue or to my private email.

      We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
      From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good meal!! Any takers?
      Thank you

    • workman_ian
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
        Stephen,

        I am almost ready for the crossing. I hope to clear up several
        historical errors and ficticious stories about Shepherdstown.

        Ian Workman

        > Tom,
        >
        > I'm there. Thanks.
        >
        > Stephen Recker
        >
        > On Friday, August 15, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
        >
        > > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You
        may
        > > reply through this venue or to my private email.
        > >
        > > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
        Potomac
        > > at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may entail
        some
        > > car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a lot of
        us.
        > > We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other side
        > > somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association
        > > (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the actual
        ford
        > > site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and look at
        the
        > > ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff roughly
        along
        > > the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where the 118th
        PA
        > > fought, all of which is also on private property. After viewing
        the
        > > main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse, also
        privately
        > > owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a shell
        embedded
        > > in the farmhouse wall.
        > > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short
        distance
        > > away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
        > > trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake
        the
        > > thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had
        our
        > > fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to
        our
        > > vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
        stuff
        > > for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is
        > > tax-deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
        > > privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a
        good
        > > meal!! Any takers?
        > > Thank you
        > >
        > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
        > > Professor of History
        > > Hagerstown Community College

      • workman_ian
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

          > Here is the proposition; let me know if you're interested. You may
          reply through this venue or to my private email.

          > We'll meet at 3:00 Sunday Sept. 20 on the Maryland side of the
          Potomac at Boteler's (Packhorse, Shepherdstown) Ford. This may
          entail some car-pooling from Antietam Visitor's Center if there are a
          lot of us. We'll wade the Potomac at the ford site, and on the other
          side somefolks from Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
          Association (SBPA) will meet us. They will arrange for us to use the
          actual ford site, which is on private property, and we'll stop and
          look at the ruins of the Cement Mill. Then we'll ascend the bluff
          roughly along the route of Barnes' Brigade and go to the place where
          the 118th PA fought, all of which is also on private property. After
          viewing the main battle area we'll walk to the original farmhouse,
          also privately owned, where the opposing forces first met, and see a
          shell embedded in the farmhouse wall.
          > From there we'll go to the Dunleavey's home, just a short distance
          away, where they will serve us hamburgers, hot dogs and all the
          trimmings, as well as adult liquid refreshments that will slake the
          thirst of all dedicated battlefield trasmpers. When we have had our
          fill of everything, they will provide drivers to take us back to our
          vehicles, thus we only have to wade once. All of this wonderful
          stuff for only a paltry $25 per person donation to SBPA, which is tax-
          deductible! It doesn't get any better than this! Tramping a
          privately-owned battlefield, helping a preservation group, and a good
          meal!! Any takers?
          > Thank you
          >

          > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
          > This is a test
        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
            You guys have a great time... wish I was there.

            Complete reports and photos will be expected :-)

            Dean

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
              Dean,

              I concur!

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                ford is!

                Steve

                <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

                > Tom,
                >
                > Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                > and low river.
                >
                > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                > backpack is a good idea?
                >
                > Larry F.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                  I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I might be able to
                  make it!

                  Harry

                  Looking forward to meeting some of you folks there! If the weather
                  is anything like it was for the Antietam anniversary hikes, this will
                  be a great day for walking the battlefield.

                  I'm planning on taking extra shoes and a camera in ziplocks in my
                  backpack. I hope it's the Visitor's Center at 3:00pm - the parking
                  down by the towpath is limited and I'm not sure exactly where the
                  ford is!

                  Steve

                  yahoogroups.com, "eighth_conn_inf"

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                    I sent instructions to you a few days ago, you didn't get them? Meet at 2:30 at Antietam VC, we'll car caravan to Dunleavy's home. Yes, dry shoes, maybe even pants.

                    >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/19/08 9:06 AM >>>
                    Tom,

                    Looks good for the Boteler's Ford crossing tomorrow (9/20)--no rain
                    and low river.

                    Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in a
                    backpack is a good idea?

                    Larry F.

                    > Oops, make that SATURDAY September 20. That was the day of the
                    most fighting, and it was a Saturday, so how cool is that?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                      Yes, I sent instructions by email a few days ago, not received? Meet at VC by 2:30 and we'll car caravan to jumping off point.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 19, 2008
                        Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need it. Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                          The wading was a terrific success. No one went swimming and we found
                          the likely ford after starting a bit too far downstream due to
                          finding a good trail down to the river on the MD side. The bottom
                          there was flat with few boulders or other obstacles clearly an
                          excellent place to get men, horses, and wagons across. The river was
                          low and the weather was just right for this walk.

                          Tom Clemens' tour combined with Ed Dunleavy's help leading the
                          expedition on the WV side was the best tour one could wish for. And
                          the victuals at the Dunleavy's after the tour ended the day perfectly.

                          There were several folks on the tour and I'm sure someone will be
                          able to mention who was there as well as supply some photos. It was
                          nice meeting everyone and I sincerely hope that this can become an
                          annual event. Perhaps even Harry can make it next time?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                            Well, it surely helped it was such a beautiful September day to
                            do so.....

                            Is the MD state line at the shore of W Va like it is for
                            Virginia?

                            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens"
                            <clemenst@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                            > it.
                            Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                            > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                            > might be
                            able to
                            > make it!
                            >
                            > Harry

                            rain
                            > > and low river.
                            > >
                            > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                            > > backpack is a good idea?
                            > >
                            > > Larry F.

                          • Harry Smeltzer
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                              I hope so - I really wanted to be there. For now I'm looking for a volunteer to write something up for the SHAF website - hopefully with photos. Any takers?

                              Harry

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                Yes that's correct Gerry. Maryland owns the entire Potomac river, Virginia, and now West Virginia, begin above the flood plain on the south bank.

                                Larry, thanks for the kind words, it was a great day.

                                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                wrote:

                                > Well, 2:30 at Antietam VC, but we will wait til 3 if you need
                                > it.
                                Dinner at the Dunleavy's is included.

                                > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

                                > I thought it was at 9:00 AM!!! If it's not until three, I
                                > might be
                                able to
                                > make it!
                                >
                                > Harry

                                rain
                                > > and low river.
                                > >
                                > > Are we still meeting at 3 pm at the VC? Carrying dry shoes in
                                > > backpack is a good idea?
                                > >
                                > > Larry F.

                              • david lutton
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                                  TOM,

                                  Just wanted to add my thanks to you and Ed and his group for a most unique tour! It ranks at the top of my battlefield trampings for 2008. Hope someone took photos, what a great day!!

                                  David Lutton
                                  Hollidaysburg Pa